Tailpiece too thick for Hill fine tuner?

September 19, 2016 at 04:54 AM · Hello all. I have an old violin that I finally took the fine tuners off of and so far things have been great. I switched an old post style Wittner fine tuner on the e string to a Wittner Hill style fine tuner. My issue comes when I installed the new fine tuner it doesn't seem to come up all the way. The hook just barely protrudes from the tailpiece and has actually created a dent at the end of the "key hole" on the tailpiece. Also I have to tighten the tuning screw almost all the way down before it engages and begins to move the hook. I am wondering if the tailpiece could possible be too thick to accept this type of fine tuner.

Replies (8)

September 19, 2016 at 05:04 AM · That's very possible!

Got a picture of the problem area?

September 19, 2016 at 08:20 AM · I have seen a rectangle cut out at the back of a thicker tailpiece to enable it to fit a Hill tuner.

Cheers Carlo

September 19, 2016 at 11:55 AM · Thank you guys so much for the quick replies. I'll try posting some pictures tonight.

September 19, 2016 at 02:05 PM · Are you happy with violin's sound?

September 19, 2016 at 03:28 PM · Yessir I am. I'm just worried about damaging the tailpiece and I don't have much fine tuning available with the screw tightened down as much as it is. And like I said it has to be almost all the way down before it can engage the hook because if how it is fitting in the tailpiece. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

September 19, 2016 at 04:04 PM · It happens all the time. There are work arounds to make it function properly.

September 19, 2016 at 04:18 PM · I've seen a couple tail pieces with the bottom of the E string hole cut out in rectangles, as Carlo described.

I think they are most prominent on Boxwood tailpieces, because often they are thicker(and lighter,less dense).

September 19, 2016 at 05:02 PM · Hey finally found a way to post pictures. Sort of

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop