Bow pressure on the A string

September 18, 2016 at 05:20 PM · I have Dominants with a Evah Gold E. It seems I have to use more bow pressure on the A string to get good tone. Sometimes when I bow lightly I get a slight whistling sound. Is that typical of most A strings?

Replies (3)

September 18, 2016 at 05:42 PM · I think something is wrong with your violin or perhaps the A string itself.

September 18, 2016 at 06:02 PM · Hi,

I can be many things. Common causes:

1- problem with the A string itself - fraying usually at the nut or bridge.

2- problem with the chinrest pressure using a side-mounted chinrest - too much or too little (people forget that violins expand and contract with weather/humidity) can cause that on a super sensitive instrument

3- problems with the soundpost adjustment, bridge or nut - should be examined by a luthier. Also, sometimes, as the string wears into the fingerboard, it can cause that and may indicate that the fingerboard needs planing - again to be checked by a luthier

3- With Dominants, you could be using the wrong choice of E for your instrument, and it could affect balance of tensions and response. In that case, trying a different E string, maybe one that is not gold, could be your answer.

4- Problems with your bowing technique (bow hold, not bowing laterally, wrong plane or level of elbow for the A string, etc., etc.), will certainly play a role as well than may be greater than the first 3.

Hope this helps in finding out the cause and best of luck!

September 20, 2016 at 03:40 PM · I had this problem one time, and I just put some more rosin on, and the problem was fixed. If, this doesn't work, the string may be old.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop