Not enough space

September 17, 2016 at 12:27 AM · At the moment, I am juggling a regular violin lesson, school orchestra, and an additional orchestra, so as you might imagine, the music pile gets rather high. I have enough space to store my music at home, but my case is getting a bit tight. The music compartment is full length, so that is not a problem. So, do any of you carry around backpacks or external music compartments to save space? Thanks.

Replies (4)

September 17, 2016 at 01:02 AM · I am in the same situation, but I just take the music out of the folders and just put it in my violin case. I put color tape thingys on each section, (Private, School, Symphony, etc.) This may not work for you, but I still survive.

September 17, 2016 at 01:34 AM · Only carry with you the music that you need.

I have a folder that I use for orchestra music, I keep quartet music in a pile (I probably should give it a folder of its own), and a messenger bag (that's really intended for a laptop, but which I had available) for the giant pile of private-lesson music that I have.

September 17, 2016 at 03:36 AM · I store mine in a binder I carry around in an external bag. I empty it occasionally and only save the music I need in my binder. The rest gets stored away at home.

September 18, 2016 at 03:51 AM · Thanks, I like David's idea. The folders are honestly the biggest problem because they all seem to be a bit too big for my violin case. I have tried the binder method, but it doesn't work for since I either have to mess around with protective sleeves or the paper end up ripping off the rings, but thanks the for advice.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop