Brahms Concerto - community project?

September 16, 2016 at 05:35 PM · Hi everyone,

I came across the excerpt of the beginning of the Brahms concerto in Lydia's Freeway Philharmonic (Part 1) thread, and it got me thinking: would there be an interest from the members to create a sort of "quilt" recording of the Brahms?

That is, what if we all contributed by playing parts of the concerto? We could create a sort of a patchwork recording of the entire piece...I wouldn't mind starting off by posting my own recording of that first bit from Lydia's thread (that takes care of most of the first page)...then someone could contribute the next portion (it could be just a phrase - a couple of measures to a line, or an entire page). Do you think there'd be interest in doing something like that? Might be fun if we could see it to the end...

If we can do this, it'd be nice to keep the posts limited to the recorded portions and encouraging comments - I know we'd be all contributing from different levels of abilities, resources (i.e. instrument, recording equipment, practice time) so it'd be good to do away with the critiquing we normally would be inclined to.

If need be I can scan sections of the score (up to a page) for those who don't have the music.

What do you all think?

Replies (11)

September 16, 2016 at 05:54 PM · The level of skill required to play any amount of the Brahms is such that there's a relatively small number of people here who could even do it.

The beginning of the exposition is actually the easiest part of the concerto, I think. Might be fun to hear a number of people play, say, the first two pages. But still, probably not doable for most people.

Pick, say, a couple of measures of Thais, and you might be able to get broad participation on a patchwork.

September 16, 2016 at 05:57 PM · I get to play the second note!

September 16, 2016 at 06:22 PM · I love this idea - organizing participation would be a challenge, to say the least, but I think a lot of us here like a good challenge. :)

I would certainly want to join in with an excerpt, even though I haven't worked on it in the past.

September 16, 2016 at 06:56 PM · Sounds interesting but I agree with Lydia, perhaps something a bit easier than Brahms. Maybe Bruch or Mendellssohn. Certain parts of those are not too difficult. I could do a few measures of something from those.

September 16, 2016 at 07:01 PM · Maybe something for solo violin would be a little easier to put together? Concertos sound pretty weird played on their own.

September 16, 2016 at 08:03 PM · How about the E Major Preludio or G Minor Presto of solo Bach?

September 16, 2016 at 10:12 PM · Lydia, kind of surprised you consider the beginning of Brahms the easiest part - I use it as my audition concerto and I'd say the first page is the hardest part of all three movements (I believe my teacher also had the same view).

September 16, 2016 at 10:32 PM · Here's an idea: what if we did a theme and variations for the project? That way, the piece could be easily split up into segments of varying difficulties.

September 16, 2016 at 11:22 PM · great idea Kenneth, I'm in! I don't think it matters much what we play exactly. after all it's going to be a quilt, so it will sound weird anyway! as long as we have enough separate parts everyone who wants to participate is going to find something that fits.

September 17, 2016 at 12:08 AM · Irene, that's interesting. I felt like it got harder as it went along, although there's really nothing in it that is simple -- you don't ever get much of a respite. The third page starts with those melodic tenths...

What feels hardest depends on your personal technical strengths and weaknesses, though.

September 17, 2016 at 11:48 PM · Hi Jean,

Thanks for the positive response :-). Doesn't seem like too many are keen on it though (maybe a variation instead-another piece?), so I guess I'll pass on the project myself...wouldn't be much fun if it's just two people.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop