Wood is still the future... even in skyscrapers!

September 16, 2016 at 05:35 PM · That wood (or more precisely, wood laminate) can successfully compete with "modern" thermoplastics and high-tech composites in many fields has been debated extensively on this website.

Now, forget windmills: how about skyscrapers built out of wood instead of steel and concrete (or carbon fiber)? Sound absurd? Not according to The Economist:

Especially interesting are the resistance experiments conducted by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill; these are the people who designed the heartstopping 160-floor Burj Khalifa tower in Dubai, which in case you didn't know, is a half-mile high.

Once could say that this cements a point, doesn't it?

Replies (7)

September 16, 2016 at 09:17 PM · I worked on some of these type of structures many years ago.

September 16, 2016 at 09:31 PM · good old Lincoln Logs.

September 16, 2016 at 11:05 PM · Well, that puts Romans and their invention to shame...

September 16, 2016 at 11:15 PM · I am still a Tinker Toy and Erector Set child at heart. What is Lego anyway?

September 17, 2016 at 02:51 AM · @Carlo Respectfully, you have the most odd sense of humor of anyone on these forums.

September 17, 2016 at 08:20 AM · @Bailey, I have never been accused of having a sense of humour before now. As to being most odd, take it as a warning of what can happen to you if you spend hours and hours, for years and years, in a small room, head clamped on a block of wood whilst scratching with a horses tail, on a wooden box strung with the intestines of a cat.

@Dimitri. ChCh suffered a huge earthquake five years ago. 10,000 houses were destroyed. These were mostly newer buildings. The old timber framed, and timber clad buildings suffered the least damage. They moved but did not break.

I'm sold on wood for violins, bows, cases, and houses too!

Cheers Carlo

September 17, 2016 at 04:24 PM · There you go... :-)

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop