Violin concert to learn?

September 15, 2016 at 08:43 PM · I'm looking for a new concerto to learn. I just played La Folia (Suzuki book 6) and Accolay violin concerto. Any suggestions? I've been playing almost three years.

Replies (11)

September 15, 2016 at 08:46 PM · Kabalevsky

De Beriot 9

Viotti 22 or 23

September 15, 2016 at 09:25 PM · Bach A minor (BWV 1041)

September 15, 2016 at 10:49 PM · I wish had a FAQ section. :-)

This is asked constantly. Search for "Accolay" or "DeBeriot" and you will see many, many similar posts covering intermediate-level repertoire.

September 15, 2016 at 11:08 PM · Katie, didn't you perform La Folia back in March of this year? Back when you were asking us about preparing for MSM?

I suggest Haydn G Major as a next concerto, if you have not done that yet. La Folia is just at the beginning of Book 6, so make sure you do the Handel sonatas in Book 6. Polish them thoroughly.

I think you will find De Beriot 9, Kabalevsky, and Viotti 22/23 to be *significantly* harder than Bach A Minor, which is in Book 7, so I suggest holding off until you have done the Bach.

Finally, ask your teacher to show you how to practice scales in thirds and sixths. It's time, and it's something you want to learn properly. When you get to the end of the first movement of the Haydn you'll understand.

At the La Folia stage you can also play a movement or two of solo Bach, such as E Major Gigue or D Minor Allemande.

September 16, 2016 at 05:09 PM · I second the suggestion of doing the Bach A minor - it presents some technical challenges, all of which should be manageable for someone at the La Folia level. I remember particularly enjoying the third movement when I learned it.

September 16, 2016 at 06:51 PM · Paul Deck, I am going to respectfully disagree on your repertoire suggestions. If Katie can manage La Folia and Accolay, especially at a high level, she should be able to manage the Viotti and Kabalevsky. They are not too difficult technically. Viotti an Accolay, in my opinion anyway, are in the collection of etudes disguised as concertos. de Beriot 9 maybe would be a stretch, I get that. But it was my understanding that Haydn and de Beriot are both concertos that are good transitions to standard romantic concertos. And many times on this site I have seen de Beriot mentioned as a suggestion after Accolay. I do second the Handel Sonatas, solo Bach, and scales in thirds and sixths.

September 16, 2016 at 06:59 PM · The Haydn is not that good of a transition. I'm thinking of the G Major concerto. Mozart 3, 4, or 5 should be played before the romantic concertos. That's something I'm fairly sure of.

September 16, 2016 at 07:05 PM · The Haydn G major is a great transition, actually. And the usual cadenza for it is a good challenge, much harder than the concerto itself. It's significantly easier than the Mozart 3.

I learned Mozart 3 before I did any romantic concertos, but I think i did Mozart 4 after Mendelssohn. Mozart 4 and 5 are often audition concertos (they're requested for some pro symphony auditions and they are pretty much a must for concertmaster auditions), so it can be worth waiting to learn them until after technique is thoroughly solidified.

September 16, 2016 at 07:30 PM · I suppose Haydn could be. I also hate it quite a bit. I could be a bit biased.

September 16, 2016 at 07:51 PM · Jacob - if you don't mind me asking, why do you hate the Haydn? I'm curious, since I haven't learned it.

September 16, 2016 at 08:10 PM · I just do not like the piece. The other violin concertos he has are nice, but this one just annoys me.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop