Removing Peg Compound

September 14, 2016 at 05:29 AM · The shop that I purchased my instrument from is not exactly known for their attention to detail... When my pegs were incessantly sticking I brought it in, and they put peg compound on them (which honestly only fixed about half of the problem, but I resigned to fine tuners until it bothers me too much to have it properly looked at). However, the lady who applied the compound put it all over the entire peg. Being that I have rosewood pegs their is a hideous dark graphite appearing stain left on the entire cylindrical portion of every peg, and I was hoping someone new of a safe way to clean it off.

Replies (12)

September 14, 2016 at 08:46 AM · Remove each peg, one at a time, and wipe the shaft clean with a micro-fibre cloth. Replace before doing the next peg. Job done!

Cheers Carlo

September 14, 2016 at 10:13 AM · They don't want to remove the compound where the peg contacts the pegbox, one possible suggestion, with the string off turn the peg in the hole and use a Q tip inside the pegbox to clean the area between the pegbox walls, almost any method involving cleaning the peg removed from the pegbox will remove needed compound from the peg contact points, honestly I use Hill compound and tend to not try to remove it between the pegbox walls, but its a brown colour not graphite colour.

September 14, 2016 at 12:30 PM · *cough*

gear pegs.

September 14, 2016 at 02:33 PM · Individually packaged alcohol wipes will get it all off. Also useful for cleaning strings/fingerboard. Just don't use on anything else, including bow hairs.

September 14, 2016 at 03:03 PM · I think I've got whatever got Paul, *cough*

September 15, 2016 at 04:08 AM · Wouldn't the alcohol dry out/rot the rosewood, being that they probably aren't treated with anything. I mean I personally have not tried it, so I have no idea. However, I know that alcohol is a key ingredient in any skin product that seeks to dry out the skin.

September 15, 2016 at 07:22 AM · Don't guitars and ukuleles use geared pegs? Are some posters writing on the wrong site ;-)

Cheers Carlo

September 15, 2016 at 10:28 AM · Either have some new pegs professionally installed by a luthier or have them fit geared pegs and never have to worry about anything like this ever again.

September 15, 2016 at 10:34 PM · Or, much easier, simply get the right peg compound on your present pegs to make them work properly.

September 16, 2016 at 06:50 PM · I would not expect peg compound to be soluble in alcohol, but the varnish on your violin probably is. I'd think the most harmless solvent to clean peg compound would be mineral spirits.

September 16, 2016 at 09:25 PM · Recommendations for south suburbs - downtown chicago luthiers? none that will break the bank it's only a $1200 instrument

September 19, 2016 at 11:48 PM · Hi Bailey. I live in Will county, south of Chicago and go to Michael Becker in Park Ridge Il. It's a fairly long drive but worth it. Best prices I have found, and always (in my experience) does a first rate job, regardless of the value of the instrument.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

The Most Comfortable Shirt Ever Made for Musicians

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins