Business and Music

September 10, 2016 at 07:50 PM · Hello everyone,

I have a school entrepreneurship project where we are supposed to write about a famous entrepreneur who has inspired us. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any famous classical musicians/performers/conductors/composers who are/were entrepreneurs? It would really help me to pick a musician since I am one also, so I can write on a deeper level .

Thank you!

Replies (4)

September 10, 2016 at 10:53 PM · Consider the impresario Sol Hurok, whose life is pretty well-documented.

September 11, 2016 at 01:34 AM · Charles Ives, who made a fortune as an insurance salesman, with which he financed his composition career so he could write what he wanted to.

Googling Rossini + entrepreneur turns up some very interesting links. I thought of him because there are words to the Barber of Seville overture: My name's Ross-i-ni and I just write this &*#@ to make a lot of money! (you have to hold the "mo" syllable of "money"). And he did. Make a lot of money, that is.

September 13, 2016 at 10:55 PM · Thank you for the helpful replies!

September 14, 2016 at 03:02 AM · He wouldn't have been happy about being put in the same bucket as his father, but Leonard Bernstein ended up with a pretty diverse line of incomes, many of which continued on after he'd stopped working on them (e.g., West Side Story). Realistically, anyone who is involved in producing and/or taking some risk on the success of opera, shows, films, etc., is more a business person than a salaried or hired employee.

On the making side, you could think about Vuillaume. Dealing in high-end stuff reinforced his making ability, which he then expanded by bringing on workmen who would produce instruments and bows to sell under his label. Then you get the commercial lines of his (Stentor, et al.), which are pure brand extensions.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings