Can you help me find the string graph that was posted a while back?

September 7, 2016 at 03:23 AM · There was a really awesome graph of string brands posted a while back--had different types posted on a bright to dark and clear to complex axis. I am searching and can't find it. Does anybody remember what I'm takling about that could help me find that thread or diagram?

Replies (8)

September 7, 2016 at 03:29 AM ·

September 7, 2016 at 07:13 PM · Thank you Rocky!!! I'm not sure either of those is quite the same as I'm remembering, but the SHAR one is pretty close so it might just be a fault of my memory :) appreciate it!

September 7, 2016 at 08:07 PM · Kathryn,

you are welcome!

Stay safe in Chicago. If it get worse, come up North for some good chamber music.

September 12, 2016 at 08:52 AM · Another chart:

Thomastik's own chart:

September 12, 2016 at 01:15 PM · Isn't it fascinating that Thomastik seems to simply ignore the fact that, by their own assessment, they have no products in top left quadrant and only one (Red) in top bottom?

They have been pushing for certain "fashion" in violin sound and are not hiding it.

September 12, 2016 at 02:07 PM · ..which may explain my frequent preference for Pirastro..

September 12, 2016 at 03:51 PM · the same here, Adrian.

Kind of metaphor for consumerism in general; one does not know if demand pushed production, or offer creates demand by changing people's

perception of their "needs" / "wants".

Is it chicken or egg?

September 12, 2016 at 05:35 PM · Scrambled egg?

I notice that in both catalogues, after the high octane strings came Evah Gold, and Vision Solo versions, with slighly less tension and slghtly warmer tone. Some one will rediscover Perlon one day..

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings