White Tie at the New Year's Concert?

September 6, 2016 at 09:43 AM · Why is it that the Wiener Philharmoniker do not wear their typical white tie attire during the New Year's Concert?

Of all nights, that would seem to be the concert that would be least likely do ease up on the dress code.

Is there a specific reason for this?

Replies (11)

September 6, 2016 at 10:56 AM · White tie is evening attire. The New Year's concert that gets telecast is performed during the day, hence the use of morning coats, which is the most formal of the correct options available. If you look for pics of Prince Charles's second wedding you will see the same choice made. Horowitz only performed on Sunday afternoons and similarly would often use morning coats.

September 6, 2016 at 11:02 AM · This is all hype and rubbish - listen to the music and forget the uniforms of the establishment.

September 6, 2016 at 03:01 PM · So now no one is allowed to ask about anything except the music, lest they get chastised by Peter?

September 6, 2016 at 03:05 PM · I like music related clothes. Heck! I just like clothes!

September 6, 2016 at 10:32 PM · Never paid much attention to their outfits myself. I listen to the New Year programs on radio and frequently play VPO music tracks on YouTube, sometimes several hours of playlists; but I don’t see much of the players, because I’m usually listening from other rooms while doing indoor projects.**

Here’s one track of the hundreds I really liked -- a choreographed setting of Johann Strauss Jr.’s Freuet euch des Lebens (Enjoy Life) from the 2012 New Year lineup. We see the VPO players for the first minute. Then the dancers take over -- a few tastefully sensuous moves in the first minute or so of the routine but still G-rated -- nothing you couldn’t safely take your kids to see. A few humorous touches, too. Runtime: 8:35.

Freuet euch des Lebens (Enjoy Life)

**FWIW, I added YouTube Red 10 days ago -- no more of those loud, obnoxious ads to interrupt a performance.

September 7, 2016 at 04:50 AM · White tie for a daytime concert is incorrect. Stephen's answer is exactly right.

September 7, 2016 at 02:41 PM · As a few have said, white tie and tails traditionally is for night time events/concerts. So is black tie (with tuxedo). Also since we're on the topic, clip on ties should be banned. Let's start a revolt! :)

September 9, 2016 at 10:51 PM · That makes sense. I thought the concert was done at night.

September 10, 2016 at 12:15 AM ·

September 12, 2016 at 05:38 PM · Does everyone change to a black tie on the stroke of midnight?

September 13, 2016 at 01:27 AM · Nate I think as long as we're revolting (har!) we might as well get rid of ties altogether.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop