Stentor 1 from the shop of J.B. Vuillaume

September 4, 2016 at 04:40 PM · We had stolen from us our Stentor 1 violin made in France in about 1860 I believe. It was from the shop of Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume and repaired by my father before he passed. He had played this particular instrument for years before his declining health made it rare for him to play. We have looked in vain to find this stolen violin but to no avail. It had boxwood pegs, chinrest, and tailpiece. Has anyone had any experience playing a similar instrument and has anyone seen a stray Stentor 1? I understand these are not particularly rare and we would like to re-aquire this instrument as it holds many sentimental memories for us here in Arizona. Thanks in advance to those of you who are kind enough to respond.

Replies (4)

September 5, 2016 at 05:55 AM · I hope you find it.

Stentor violins are normally affordable student violins from central Europe or now, China. If the label says Villaume 1860, it means Stentor had good taste in their choice of model..

(But I could be wrong)

September 5, 2016 at 06:14 AM · The original Stentors were Mirecourt French, I'm pretty certain of that.

September 5, 2016 at 10:02 AM · I stand corrected!

September 5, 2016 at 03:53 PM · From what I can gather from google, the Stentor 1 was a production violin made under the direction of (not by) JB Vuillaume and Nicholas Vuillaume, later they were mass produced by the huge Mirecourt company of JTL.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop