Trouble with scales

September 3, 2016 at 11:06 AM · Hello all,

I've been having a bit of trouble with my fingering when crossing strings during scales practice. For example let's take just a basic 2 octave g major scale played with the 4th finger as opposed to utilizing any open strings (aside from g of course) when I go to move my first finger to play the F# on my e string my finger doesn't seem to be able to lift fast enough after I play my E and it just ends up rolling itself automatically to play the F#. Kind of just happens. It really only seems to be when I go to play that f# and I find it a bit odd. Obviously I should just trt and slow it down and make sure it doesn't happen then work up the tempo, but does anyone have any other ideas for why this is occurring/exercises I could do to fix the issue?

Replies (4)

September 3, 2016 at 11:30 AM · You are saying that your finger rolls on to the next string instead of lifting up and being placed down, if I am understanding correctly. This doesn't seem like a problem to me.

September 3, 2016 at 12:37 PM · Me neither.Just make sure to not cause unclear notes in fast passages via this rollong motion, and you should be fine.

September 3, 2016 at 12:45 PM · I am not a pro or a teacher, but I think there's supposed to be a short but finite time when your E (4th finger on A string) and your F# (first finger on E string) are being fingered simultaneously. As your E is sounding you finger the F# so that when your bow changes strings the F# stop is ready. What I find hard is to keep the 4th finger from lightly touching the E string higher up and thereby "fuzzing" my F# before I can get it lifted off. But that's usually because I'm being lazy about my hand position.

Simon Fischer, in his book "Scales" has studies specifically addressing the changing of strings. It's a pretty important aspect of scale practice, so it's covered in detail.

September 4, 2016 at 01:09 PM · We need to isolate these particular moments, the two notes, upwards and downwards, slurred and unslurred, with total concentration before they can re-integrate the scale.

Listen to the two strings' tone qualities, use a little longer but lighter bow on the higher string, equalize the vibrato; speed it all up, and only then add preceding and succeeding notes..

And enjoy doing it!

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop