Brazilwood, Pernambuco, or Carbon Fiber/Graphite violin bow for a budget of $250

September 3, 2016 at 11:05 AM · I have been researching about bows, having got a new instrument. I am targeting something below $250 and have a couple of options

Dorfler Pernambuco round with half lined frog

Glasser Core Conservatory Carbon Fiber

Dorfler/Knoll Brazil wood

Which is better among the lot?

Replies (3)

September 3, 2016 at 12:33 PM · I have good experience with Dorfler, I think they would beat cheap Carbon Fibre any day, and I would trust they are probably using genuine pernambuco and brazilwood, which is not true of the vast majority of Chinese bows claiming to be Pernambuco.

September 3, 2016 at 02:07 PM · When students bring bows at that price level to show me, carbon fiber often wins. Carbpn bows can have a cleaner, more articulate sound.

September 3, 2016 at 04:12 PM · No two wooden bows of the same brand and "grade" are exactly alike.

Among carbon fiber bows too, there are differences in the same brand and grade, however two CF bows of the same brand with the same mass and the same balance point are likely to be identical to the player.

At a given low-price point, a brazil wood bow may well be better than a pernambuco bow at the same price - you have to try them on your own fiddle and have your teacher or other expert try too (for usefulness with more advanced technique).

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

The Most Comfortable Shirt Ever Made for Musicians

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins