Rachel Podger's Biber Passagalia

September 3, 2016 at 11:05 AM ·

Replies (14)

September 3, 2016 at 04:03 PM · https://youtu.be/sgcR183f8gA

Very Bach-esque, no?

September 3, 2016 at 04:58 PM · ?

September 3, 2016 at 10:40 PM · I think it was Bach-esque.

September 4, 2016 at 08:36 AM · I'm not sure I'm seeing the OP correctly: it doesn't appear to have any content.

Is there a non-Bach-esque way of approaching this piece? ;)

September 4, 2016 at 01:06 PM · Here is the Missing Link!

Both are lovely. I should like to hear Bach's Chaconne played in this spirit. (Sometimes.)

September 4, 2016 at 02:44 PM · Adrian,

Rachel recorded all sonatas and partitas, in case you want to listen to her vision of Chaconne.

Back to Biber.... 2 different approaches to his music.

I like Julia Wedman's interpretation of Biber's Mystery sonatas:

September 5, 2016 at 12:46 PM · Dead pears ...

September 5, 2016 at 08:03 PM · Sorry, I don't understand the "dead pears" comment.

And Rocky - what would you describe as being the two different approaches?

September 5, 2016 at 08:48 PM · It's my crazy humour ...

But, I must admit that I'm no great fan of that style of HIP playing.

Dead sound without vibrato, and often pear shaped notes. All very boring in my opinion, but I realise that some people like it.

But I'm not trying to start a war.

September 5, 2016 at 11:35 PM · I started this thread but then I thought my comments were half-baked so I tried to delete it! What, exactly, is "HIP" playing? I have not heard the term before. I thought Podger's performance was terrific - I'd also watched versions by Johnny Gandlesman and Alicia Silverstein on Youtube. And I attempt to play it, myself (when nobody is around). It seems very "violinistic."

September 6, 2016 at 06:40 AM · HIP means Historically Informed Performance. HIP players claim to know how the period music (i.e before about 1900) should be played. They have divine insight regarding the way the music was performed more than 150 years ago and have heard the styles in their head and ears and may even have been visited by the likes of Leopold Mozart, and have been given tips and lessons on how to be "authentic."

This usually means pear shaped notes with no vibrato and possibly out of tune as well. (Although some are very good at fast music and can sound quite brilliant even if the sound is overly bright ...)

Just my take on this style of playing. (Which is also often performed at other pitches as well).

September 6, 2016 at 09:09 AM · Or alternatively:

HIP players have researched how period music (before 1900) might have been played. They have some idea, based on the available sources, about how music was played more than 150 years ago and may even have read books by the likes of Leopold Mozart.

This usually means resonant notes without excessive vibrato, possibly even playing in the same temperament as the piece was composed in.

September 6, 2016 at 05:31 PM · Thank you Peter and Chris. I was going to bring up temperament, but Chris beat me to it. Divine Insight! Channeling! Or just a chemical imbalance!

September 6, 2016 at 09:21 PM · HIPers don't always agree on how things should be played or in what tuning. Not all HIPs sound like dead pears though there are some early HIPs that sound absolutely sterile. The current trends seem to have more flair and expression.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop