String Thing V E string folklore

September 1, 2016 at 05:12 PM · E string tests final results.

Basically, some strings did make a difference but, in general, the good results simply faded with time (1-2 weeks).

Actually, most strings did settle differently but not worth making a string change.

It so happens that I have an Infield Blue on right now and it is amazing so far. I would call it a "stage" violin.

Pirastro Gold

Infield Blue

Black Diamond

Replies (4)

September 1, 2016 at 06:03 PM · Once you find a string you like, you then can experiment with different gauges of that string...

September 1, 2016 at 06:48 PM · My results so far suggest to me that it is very difficult to change the acoustic spectrum of a violin (system) for any long period of time. It is was it is.

I have achieved "miracles" but never for long and I think it takes weeks for a violin to resolve the consequences of changes.

I was once told by some very wise folks that even sounding post changes will warp back to original sound.

Meanwhile I will continue to look for a way to make a really (spectrum) tunable violin. I know it's out there. I suspect that the tailpiece might be useful and it will take very small changes to do the job.

September 1, 2016 at 08:44 PM · Soundpost changes will last as long as the post is in the proper place. The proper placement is dependent upon the climate.

When I lived in Chicago, I needed to get the soundpost adjusted at least once a season.

September 1, 2016 at 10:26 PM · I've also read that the sounding post "sweet spot" is only 0.020" in diameter which is a pretty small target through an "f" hole so I am not convinced about what really goes on.

However, I'm really interested in schemes to significantly change or manipulate the wave shapes of the instruments. ( I bet somebody will say "magnets" :)

Somebody on this thread said that my "improvements" were simply the result of a varied twisting torque on the tail piece. (maybe).

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop