Strings for Child's Viola

September 1, 2016 at 02:42 PM · My grandson was offered a music class and he picked viola as his instrument of choice. After my initial shock and embarrassment, I decided to sacrifice the social standing of the family name and humor the child.

So I measured his left arm from the neck to the wrist and then to the base of the fingers and consulted some charts. To my delight, I discovered a viola for his size is actually a violin! Perhaps no one will notice the offending C string and lack of an E string!

My question: What do I use for the C string on a 4/4 violin?

Replies (5)

September 1, 2016 at 03:07 PM · 14 inch viola is not a violin and vice versa. Your grandson needs a fractional viola.

September 1, 2016 at 03:09 PM · Helicore has small scale viola C strings.

September 1, 2016 at 03:13 PM · and so does Dominant.... still violin can not sound like viola.

September 1, 2016 at 10:44 PM · Thanks for the info on a 14 inch viola versus a 4/4 violin strung as a viola. Many sites do not differentiate between fractional viola sizes and violins.

From what I could gather, a true 14 inch viola would be a bit deeper in the ribs and perhaps a bit wider in the bouts than a 4/4 violin in order to get a lower resonance to strengthen the C string.

Does anyone have any experience with "standard" bout and rib dimensions for a 14 inch viola?

Right now I am focused on setting up something that is easy to play and tune and has a reasonable sound and see how he takes to a stringed instrument. If he turns out to be another William Primrose, I will certainly look into a real viola.

I'll grab one of the suggested C strings. Thanks again!

September 4, 2016 at 01:36 PM · There is no "standard" for any violas, fractional or othrwise!

For a 14" viola, use violin strings for the A, D, and G: the tensions will then be correct.

For the C, you could try Helicore. The tension wil be high enough, and the lesser diameter will give a less "muddy" tone to the low notes.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings