Fingered octaves and shifts

September 1, 2016 at 02:42 PM · Hi,all,

I just have a couple of things to ask....

When playing fingered octaves,is it normal to leave fingers 1+3 down,while playing fingers 2+4?

I am learning these and want to do them correctly....Also I notice when I shift position down especially on the D and G strings,sometimes there is a slight bouncing of the bow.Any suggestions on this?Thanks In advance for any help.

Yours in music,

Replies (7)

September 1, 2016 at 03:09 PM · A release of the other fingers is normal unless you are going back and forth between the two octaves.

My guess is that the bow bounce is caused by not keeping the violin steady.

September 1, 2016 at 03:09 PM · Yes, always keep them down but relaxed.

And for the little bouncing of the bow make sure your left hand is again relaxed during the shift and avoiding side movements that could make the violin move up and down.

September 2, 2016 at 05:14 AM · Try Paganini-Dounis Moto Perpetuo in fingered octaves. And just to practice thirds, Scriabin-Szigeti Etude in Thirds.

September 4, 2016 at 01:18 PM · Keep the down, unless this hampers e.g. a subsequent shift.

September 4, 2016 at 01:50 PM · If you are doing fingered octaves say E, f#, G#, E in eighth note's at 100bpm. Should you shift on just 1&3 or should you play 1&3, 2&4 then shift?

September 4, 2016 at 02:55 PM · It depends on the musical context, usually.

September 4, 2016 at 06:15 PM · In that given example, if you mean E-#F-#G and the back to E I would choose the first fingering regardless the bow stroke.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop