Orchestral violinists and repertoire

September 1, 2016 at 02:38 PM · What type of input and influence do orchestral violinists have in deciding on the repertoire an symphony orchestra will perform in a regular or summer season? I'm curious about professional and amateur/community orchestras.

Replies (6)

September 1, 2016 at 04:05 PM · For community orchestras, it's highly variable. I've played in community orchestras where orchestra members had basically no input whatsoever into the programming.

My current community orchestra does online voting on a set of possible repertoire, which is used to influence the music director's choice of programs for the next season. Our music director then gives a set of possible program choices to our board of directors (which is primarily made up of orchestra members) and they vote on which ones we'll do.

September 1, 2016 at 11:43 PM · I play in a community orchestra. We're all welcome to give suggestions for a future season. However, our board makes suggestions primarily and determines the budget for rentals and purchases. Ultimately, it's our music director/conductor who decides. Our program for the year is decided well before our final concert in the preceding season.

September 2, 2016 at 12:09 AM · My community orchestra sightreads some of the music for the upcoming season during summer open sight-reading sessions. That sometimes causes planned repertoire for the upcoming season to be changed, so typically a season isn't finalized until shortly before rehearsals begin.

September 2, 2016 at 12:58 AM · Very little in a pro orchestra. Practically none.

September 2, 2016 at 02:07 AM · We have a repertoire committee consisting of three players who can advise the Music Director of pieces the orchestra wants to play but it's really up to the Music Director and the production staff.I would agree with Mary Ellen with her "very little in a pro orchestra" comment.It's always a mystery as to why we play certain pieces and not others.Good topic.

September 2, 2016 at 04:19 PM · For my orchestra (community) the conductor chooses all the music, although he is glad to entertain suggestions.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins