Martin Heberlein? Is this some pretend knock-off name?

September 1, 2016 at 02:38 PM · So I found a 1920s Martin Heberlein violin. According to the the label, it was made in Markneukirchen circa 1920s:

Was there ever a M. Heberlein? I can't find any info and have no idea.

Replies (7)

September 1, 2016 at 11:59 PM · I'm not specifically familiar with Martin, but can share the limited insight I have on the Heberlein name. Heinrich Theodor Heberlein was a real person. His surviving instruments are generally of good quality and value even if needing some repairs. They're not cheap but not outrageous if well maintained (for an advanced student or amateur). Because of this, there are many other Heberleins. Little is know of most of them and it is believed some were Czech or Austrian origin from no-name makers who smuggled in their instruments to sell in various shops using the Heberlein name. At least that's what I was told from a luthier. My violin is Gustav Fedor Heberlein and she's absolutely beautiful.

September 2, 2016 at 06:27 AM · I know the Heberleins were manufactured in Germany, but I'm buying blind and deaf and hope they sound great!!

Any idea if the Czech or Austrian (or wherever) had pretend Markneukirchen labels, or did every Viol require Country of Origin even with the counterfits?

September 2, 2016 at 09:56 AM · As there is no Martin Heberlein in my reference book, it appears to be a made up name, and hence nothing to do with Heberlein at all, so buyer beware.

September 2, 2016 at 02:45 PM · Looks like this ?

September 2, 2016 at 02:50 PM · The instrument in the link has an unrepaired soundpost crack, which makes the violin essentially worthless. Only on ebay do cheap instruments with unpatched soundpost cracks acquire commercial value!!

To be fair though, the OPs picture is not of the same instrument.

September 3, 2016 at 12:48 AM · I had a Martin Heberlein violin that I kept for about a year. It had been regraduated and it was loud and resonant. I thought it had a bad wolf note which was why I sold it. The back was very made of pretty wood and it had a distinguishing mark there that made it instantly recognizable.

September 3, 2016 at 01:09 AM · Wolftones and over zealous regraduations seem to go hand in hand.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop