The quandary of the baroque bow.

August 27, 2016 at 02:23 PM · Does anyone else have this problem with keeping their bows in place?

I use a baroque bow, in a Mustafia dart case. Because the space between the bow and the stick at the frog is much greater on the baroque bow, and the stick itself is shorter, the bow spinner can't keep the bow in place without some fandangling.

My present solution uses a piece of covered foam from a t-shirt bra (TMI, sorry) plus a rolled up piece of paper stiffed into the tip holder end.

It's not elegant, nor foolproof - if the hair stretches more, then I find that the bow still drops out of the spinner.

I'll be contacting Dmitri after his annual holiday to see if he has a solution, but in the meantime, does any one else want to chime in?

Replies (11)

August 27, 2016 at 03:20 PM · Simply make the paper tube longer. Problem solved.

August 27, 2016 at 07:51 PM · Your pictures don't tell the whole story, but what if you slipped a cardboard or plastic tube over the adjuster, long enough to push the bow tip all the way to the end of the case?

August 27, 2016 at 07:52 PM · Baroque style bows are typically about 2" shorter than modern bows, so what I've done in my two cases is to glue pieces for cork (from a bottle of an agreeable wine, of course!) to the inside of the case and positioned so that the bow's nut rests against it, thus preventing movement of the bow within the case.

The "glue" used was a binary epoxy resin. Needless to say, my cases are not Musafia (otherwise he'd have a fit!) but old and well-used. One is a Hidersine which was given to me by the dealer when I got my Jay Haide; the other is an anonymous rectangular. The inner construction of both is good ply.

As they say, if you've got an engineering problem, think about it a bit and you'll find there's always an engineering solution.

August 27, 2016 at 09:04 PM · Stretch an elastic band across the two bow spinners once the bow is in place.

Cheers Carlo

August 27, 2016 at 09:33 PM · I've had the same problem with the early bows. Get fabric covered hair bands. They come in various thicknesses so you can get what suits your particular bow and case.

August 29, 2016 at 04:10 AM · Rocky, Mark - I'll see if I can get a longer piece of tube that is also of sufficient diameter, and that stays put inside the tip holder. Perhaps thick aquarium tubing. The tip reaches in about 5mm if I don't have the extender.

Carlo and Michael: I must be having a blond moment - where exactly do you put the bands? I tried wrapping the band around the spinner, but it didn't do anything to keep the bow in place.

Previously I'd used a piece of foam that i cut to fit the frog end of the bow, to fill in the space between the button and the end of the case. It wasn't great, fell out all the time, and eventually fell out and got eaten by the dog.

August 29, 2016 at 04:31 AM · Wrap the hair band around the spinner after the bow is in place. If you have a bow with a screw frog, try to have a little tension on the hair. Early frogs can be higher than modern so they slip out of the spinners. The hair bands just add more/and softer area to the spinners.

August 29, 2016 at 08:02 AM · Thank you :)

August 29, 2016 at 09:04 AM · Hook the band over both spinners once the bow is in place.

Cheers Carlo

August 29, 2016 at 01:05 PM · Perhaps loop the elastic over the nut of the bow and the spinner. If the correct length, it will hold the frog in place while pushing the tip into the tube.

August 29, 2016 at 10:11 PM · That's what seems to be working. I have to take the case for a walk to test. Thanks again.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

The Most Comfortable Shirt Ever Made for Musicians

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins