A chrome steel string violin

August 26, 2016 at 07:49 AM · Hello guys!

I have been using spirocore A string on my violin. I prefer the sound of A chrome string over the aluminium A strings but I have tried only the spirocore one. I would be thankful if you could give me some recommendation of other A chrome steel strings (obligato, aricore, prazision etc.)

I like the spirocore A but I would prefer something little bit warmer and not so harsh but still projective.

I am also curious why the pirastro A chrome strings are almost double price of the others? Are they better?

Thank you :)

Replies (4)

August 26, 2016 at 11:25 AM · As I know from experience, Pirastro provide a well-balanced and good-sounding set of steel core strings, Chromcor, which are significantly less expensive than the Spirocore equivalents (which I have also used). I have been happy using the Chromcors.

Pirastro in their Chromcor set also provide an alternative A, the Chromcor Eudoxa, which is intended to work well with gut-cored D and G; presumably Pirastro are presumably thinking of their own products such as the covered gut Eudoxas and and plain gut Chordas. The downside of the Chromcor Eudoxa A is that it is much more expensive than their standard Chromcor A.

I haven't used Helicors or other steel strings on the violin, so I'll leave others to talk about them.

August 26, 2016 at 06:24 PM · Yeah, the Chromcor is not that expensive but I checked the tension of the Chromcor A on the Pirastro website and it is completely same as Spirocore A, therefore I think the sound will be very similiar but maybe I am not right.

And how did you like the Eudoxa Chromcor A? Is it loud enough?

August 26, 2016 at 06:57 PM · Aleš, I haven't tried the Chromcor Eudoxa, so I can't comment specifically on that string. However, I am of the opinion that loudness, or more correctly "projection", is more a function of what the player does with his bow rather than the string - within reason, of course.

August 26, 2016 at 07:39 PM · I understand, thank you :)

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop