W.E. Hill & Sons: The Golden Period of Violin Cases

August 25, 2016 at 09:38 AM · http://stringsmagazine.com/w-e-hill-sons-the-golden-period-of-violin-cases/

A nice article on pretty violin cases from the past! :)

Replies (8)

August 25, 2016 at 04:42 PM · I've owned 3 Hill cases! I sold one, would sell another one and definitely keeping one.

August 25, 2016 at 07:28 PM · I have one of the Hill Apostle cases. It can be dated to exactly 1888. The gold paper lining the pockets is the same as the gold paper on the walls of the Hill showroom. It is beautiful, but was not designed to be carried around as it has baize on the base.

Cheers Carlo

August 26, 2016 at 02:37 AM · WOW!!

August 28, 2016 at 08:56 AM · An excellent article written by probably the greatest expert on antique cases, a good read for those interested.

I too have two Hill cases in my collection, a mint oblong (one of the last) from the '70s and one of the 12 Apostle cases, dating to c. 1887. Beautiful work.

August 28, 2016 at 11:12 AM · Glenn Wood is a friend of mine and I bought one of my Hill cases from him which is illustrated in his book. So, Dimitri, you have another of the Apostles - I'm envious!

August 28, 2016 at 04:29 PM · Thank you, Raphael! :-)

August 28, 2016 at 06:48 PM · Does anybody know know how many of the Apostle cases have been tracked down? Are they worth a book of their own?

Cheers Carlo

August 29, 2016 at 05:33 AM · You should contact Glenn, Carlo. He'll know.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins