Is it worth upgrading my current violin to a new one

August 25, 2016 at 09:38 AM · I am on the lookout for a new violin and since I am based in India, I do not have many options to choose from rather than have one imported to my country. Currently, I have a Granada violin (Made in China). The outfit costed me about $100. I've played this for quite sometime and feel unsatisfied. I was advised to buy from Sharmusic or Southwest Strings but the former said no to international shipping, while the latter agreed but charges around $139 in shipping and other duties. The Klaus Mueller Bucharest violin outfit will cost me $500 if I were to order. It comes with a choice of D'Addario Prelude strings, Thomastik Dominant strings, or D'Addario Zyex strings, a nice thermoplastic case, and a brazilwood bow with horsehair .They also take liability for any defects/damages during transit. I just wanted to know if it will be good enough.

Here is a link of the violin.

What are my other options?

Furthermore, I can get a Hofner violin in India (free shipping and no duties) for about $500/35000 INR

Which one should I go with?

I have a budget in mind too. Although I have money, I can't spend more than $600-700 for a violin for now.

Please help me in choosing the right one

Replies (9)

August 25, 2016 at 10:21 AM · Are there no violin shops in India ?

August 25, 2016 at 12:17 PM · Does BAJAAO have a showroom where you can try the instruments they sell?

August 25, 2016 at 03:23 PM · What do yz not like about your curreot violin?

August 27, 2016 at 07:33 AM · @Brian Kelly. There are no dedicated violin shops in India like the ones you can find in Germany or Italy. There are no notable luthiers either, although you can find violin repairers somewhere in every city. So, when you buy a violin, you have to buy it from a music store.

@Paul Deck. BAJAAO is more of an online portal and they have a warehouse. No showrooms to test to figure out how the violin pronounces the tones. But the violin is shipped after performing the setup.

@Ella Yu. The violin has a screechy and harsh sound that I find despicable. It is not warm and well balanced. Although my current teacher tells me that it is sufficient for practice, buying an expensive instrument is more of a personal choice..

What do I do guys?

August 27, 2016 at 09:19 AM · What sort of strings do you have on your violin now ? I assume that you have the original factory strings so replace them with a set of Tonicas and you might be amazed at the improvement.

No violin shops in India ! Surely a business opportunity there for somebody ?

August 27, 2016 at 09:37 AM · @Brian Kelly. I actually replaced them with a Pirastro Evah Pirazzi Gold (E string), Pirastro Chromcor (A string), Pirastro Piranito (D & G strings). The violin was left in the attic for more than 7 years. Do you think I should replace the bow? Moreover, the rosin I use is a Pirastro which is at least 5 years old.

August 27, 2016 at 01:53 PM · @gautam Well having 3 different types of strings is probably accounting for a good deal of the unbalanced tone, and what type of music are you playing. Steel strings create a brighter (some see it as harsher) tonne which is good for fiddle type music, but synthetics are the string of choice for classical. Your rosin is probably fine. If the violin was left in the attic for 7 years it may need a proper set up to fix any potential issues, but that would cost more than the instrument is worth.I purchased a new violin for the soul sake of gaining confidence, and not because I needed to. Personally, however, I purchased a workshop intrument from a luthier, and not an online outfit. I haven't personally tried any of their products myself, but Cecilio has a good reputation for student violin outfits.

August 27, 2016 at 04:56 PM · I tried a set of Piranitos once and I thought they were awful. Try a full set of Tonicas before you do anything else ; they do not cost much. Also, replace the rosin with something new and decent. Rosin is cheap.

I think the violin could probably use a good set-up too but you probably do not have any luthiers nearby do you ?

August 29, 2016 at 12:34 AM · Violin wise, you could try The Sound Post Violin Shop, based in Toronto, Canada, but they also have a shop in Ottawa,Canada, they ship internationally as well using USPS for international customers. I am lucky enough to live close to the shop so I am able to go in person when looking at violins, however I can guarantee that the violins are top quality. My $600 student violin lasted me until grade 10 of high school from grade 3 elementary school if that gives you any idea... I'm not sure if you're talking USD or CAD money wise so it may be a bit more expensive than thought of but all student violins on their website are $425 CAD. Hope this helped! The website is:

As well, all the violins come with dominant strings already assembled by a professional violin luthier (his background is on the website if you wanted to look). Good luck!

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop