A new violin I'm trying to iD, your help is appreciated !

August 22, 2016 at 03:04 PM · Before I spend a little cash to iD this thing ! My initial suspicion is Saxon. It has no cornerblocks

and a one piece back. No labels whatsoever. It's one of the sweets sounding instruments I've ever played.

I'll let the pictures do the talking, picked it up at a Garage Sale.

A friend having a look at it

Replies (7)

August 22, 2016 at 04:40 PM · definitely hand made :)

August 22, 2016 at 05:05 PM · Looks like a late 1800s Markenukirchen/Schoenbach production violin, how much you like the tone can determine how much work you put into it.

August 22, 2016 at 05:18 PM · is all that black stuff on the belly the result of rosin not getting cleaned off?

August 22, 2016 at 05:51 PM · Hello Pals, no harm intended, but I think it looks like a strad and a guarneri. copy probably :) best, guys

August 22, 2016 at 06:40 PM · Haha, I highly doubt it's worth anything, I've been playing it for a bit now, the tone is gorgeous but it will need a fair bit of playing to open up. haven't found the sweetspot for the soundpost yet but still going at it ...

The black stuff is ... what I can only assume is years of caked on rosin + dirt, I've removed a fair bit of it with a tiny but of steam and varnish clearner but don't want to go to extremes as it will removed most of the varnish.

August 22, 2016 at 07:04 PM · Just leave the rosin build up alone, you're liable to take more varnish off if you mess with it, many of these instruments sound surprisingly good, however that rarely makes them worth more than $1000 or so.

August 23, 2016 at 05:25 AM · Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop