Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Petz Vienna's Best Rosin

Instruments: Anybody try this rosin?

From Seraphim Protos
Posted December 3, 2013 at 08:18 PM

According to Warchal's big rosin test,

http://www.warchal.com/the_big_rosin_test.html

the Vienna Best rosin was the winner for maximum scratch resistance and being very forgiving.

Yet, it seems that nobody here has ever commented on using this rosin?

The Andrea, which was also a top winner in the rosin face-off obviously has had many reviews and admirerers, but why no love for the Petz rosin?

From sharelle taylor
Posted on December 3, 2013 at 08:52 PM
I had used it for a couple of years and liked it but then I'm not much of a rosin nerd. I stopped when I bought a new old expensive violin and when I was messing around with very expensive ($30,000) bows with the kindly and understanding luthier, we got talking about rosin. He explained that the petz likely only melts on the bow or string as there is so much extra applied.
I had noticed it was very dusty leaving quite a bit of residue, but it gripped easily. I liked the container.
(Luthier however turned me on to leibenzeiller - gently applied and it leaves barely any thing behind. Hugely more expensive but I must admit I notice a difference)
From Seraphim Protos
Posted on December 3, 2013 at 09:08 PM
I guess when you're shopping for $30,000 bows, the difference between a $15 rosin and a $33 rosin is just a drop in the bucket!

8^o

From sharelle taylor
Posted on December 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Ahhhh, sigh if only!
I was shopping for $3,000 bows.
Gabor smiled and said (as he put away the fine leather case) - I'll just get the cardboard case now ....

But the expensiver rosin did make a difference even with my very cheap yita -supposedly pernambuco- bow.

From Seraphim Protos
Posted on December 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Yita?

Now you're talk in my language!

;^)

From Stephen Brivati
Posted on December 4, 2013 at 02:32 AM
that's how my iPad spells bagel....
From Jonathan Russell
Posted on December 4, 2013 at 02:38 AM
I think people don't use the Petz rosin because it's not as well known as the Liebenzeller or Andrea rosins. Currently I'm using Liebenzeller rosin. In the past I used Hidersine, Royal Oak, the cheap green rosin that comes with student violas, Pirastro Obligato rosin, and Pirastro Goldflex. My favorite is the Liebenzeller. Is there much of a difference between Liebenzeller and Andrea? If there is can someone name the differences?
Ilya Gringolts

Contest: Paganini Caprices

Enter to win Ilya Gringolts' recording of the 24 Caprices by Paganini.