Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Orchestra Music Binders?

Schools, Teachers and Camps: trying to figure out a good music binder for our chamber group. We have some stands shared and some not.

From Jared Barton
Posted April 7, 2013 at 02:38 AM

Can you recommend a music binder for use in an orchestra? We have been using taped together sheets and it is becoming a little cumbersome on larger pieces. The group is a small chamber group so there are some stand partners and there a few that do not share a stand. I was going to get 1" black three ring binders but I wasn't sure if there was a specific type of binder that may be a good choice or even a different option. No, we can't afford ipads with foot pedal page turns, lol.

From Trevor Jennings
Posted on April 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM
In my chamber orchestra I use a 4-ring binder, which keeps the sheets of music stable when in a near-vertical position on a stand. It is also especially convenient when playing for barn dances (the music won't blow off the stand when the dancers come whizzing close!), when there is a fairly large number of pieces, each on one page, and the order of playing isn't known in advance. For barn dance playing I like to have each page in its own plastic folder - that music doesn't often require annotation or need to be hole-punched.

A two-hole office punch should have a setting on its hole position slider to enable accurately spaced four holes for an A4 size four-ring binder.

[Edit added. Since posting the above I now see on this page on my iPad an ad by an office furniture supplier in the UK. The Safari browser doesn't miss a trick!]

From N.A. Mohr
Posted on April 7, 2013 at 01:21 PM
I'm just curious. Our orchestral music is all purchased, for copyright and performance reasons. We have folders...we don't put holes in anything.

Everything gets returned...and filed away, after our performances...

From Jared Barton
Posted on April 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Carrying several books about isn't really feasible and copies are made from originals with sufficient copies to meet copyright. Some music we perform is arranged and sold for orchestra and some requires me to layout and give paper copies.

Hear more from the world's top violinists

Joshua Bell Our interview with Joshua Bell is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback