Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

Be careful buying this case... my new violin case interior bled on my bows ruining the tips.

Accessories: New violin case color bled onto my bows and ruined the tips. Buyer beware!

From Bev Saunders
Posted February 8, 2013 at 08:03 PM

I feel it is necessary to let other musicians know that they should be careful when purchasing a HC (Howard Core) case. I recently purchased a lightweight case (maroon interior) on sale from a reputable online violin shop. I've had the case for about two weeks and yesterday, when I pulled my good bow out I noticed that the tip of my bow was stained pink on the side that touches the case. After checking my other bow I saw that it was stained as well. My luthier tells me that they might be able to sand out the color but most likely I'm looking at replacing the tips on both bows. Now I'm going to have to pay $350.00 to fix my bows that were ruined by a $200.00 case I bought on sale.

Buyer beware...

From Darrett Smith
Posted on February 8, 2013 at 08:41 PM
From Bev Saunders
Posted on February 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I wish I had seen that review when I was reading up on them or I wouldn't have bought it. Live and learn I guess...expensive lesson.
From Carlo Ballara
Posted on February 9, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Who was seller of your case? Surely they not only will have to refund your money, but pay to have your bows repaired?

Cheers Carlo

From Bev Saunders
Posted on February 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Right now I'm not ready to name the seller. The seller is a shop that I've worked with and have been pleased with in the past. I've sent them an email and am waiting for a response. I might name them if they refuse to at least take the case back and refund my money.

On a better note, my luthier was able to sand the color off without messing up the balance of the bow. So it looks like I won't need to replace the tips right now. I was totally doing the happy dance coming out of the shop this morning.

From Emmanuel Borowsky
Posted on February 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM
That sucks... Good cases are a worthwhile investment. If you are in need of a new case, I have a new Musafia for sale that is only $625 including shipping. This is not one of the Chinese made musafias, but rather a full Italian. I have a discussion thread in the commercial section for the case if you are interested.