Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Amp for Electric Violin

Instruments: Which amp would you recommend for Electric Violin that plug to Boss ME-50 effects processor? Anyone tried Yamaha THR5 - Guitar Amps?

From Yong Xin Yaw
Posted August 2, 2012 at 04:05 PM

Which amp would you recommend for Electric Violin that plug to Boss ME-50 effects processor?

Anyone tried Yamaha THR5 - Guitar Amps?

From Stephen McGrath
Posted on August 2, 2012 at 06:07 PM
Generally, for sound quality, acoustic guitar amps are a good choice for electric violins. Two good examples are the Roland AC60 and the Fishman Loudbox Mini. (I am using the Roland with my Yamaha SV130 violin.)

I see that the Electric Violin Shop offers the Yamaha THR10 in their selection of practice amps. They know their stuff, so the little Yamaha amps probably are fine.

A common alternative is using a small PA system instead of an amplifier. Here's a video demonstrating using an electric violin with a Boss ME50 processor and a Yamaha Stagepass mini PA system.

Another good place to ask you question would be this forum at the Fiddle and Alternative Strings website.

From Rocky Milankov
Posted on August 2, 2012 at 06:28 PM
I agree with Stephen; I have got Roland AC30 - lightweight, portable, AC and/or AA battery powered (and am using it with my Yamaha SV-120). If you are looking for a portable (and powerful amp), this is probably the best value for your money. If you need a more powerful amp, go with AC60 or further in that line.
All of the above will also work great with a pickup and regular acoustic violin.
From Paul Deck
Posted on August 3, 2012 at 01:03 AM
I played my friend's violin which is an acoustic instrument with a realist pickup and it went into a Fender Passport small PA system, sounded very good, and then you've got a PA which is quite versatile and portable, you can plug in a keyboard. I've used both the 150 W and 300 W versions, you'll need the latter if you play in any kind of larger/louder venue. Undoubtedly equalization helps whatever you are using.
From Christopher Payne
Posted on August 4, 2012 at 01:12 PM
As a rule, avoid electric guitar amps which are configured for a more limited frequency range. A powered PA speaker can be used just like a combo amp. I use a JBL EON 15P G2 (no longer made) but there are plenty of others - Mackie, QSC... then there are those Bose compact things...
From Sam Guy
Posted on August 4, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Hello,
I use several different amps, depending on the gig, and I agree that a guitar amp designed for electric guitar is not as good a choice. I have a Fender Twin Reverb for my guitar, but sounds horrible for violin. When I amp the violin I use a 300 watt Behringer keyboard amp, which has built in effects that are very nice. I also use a Behringer 150 watt keyboard amp for smaller venues. I also have a PA system which is also Behringer that sounds pretty good as well. My daughter has a Behringer bass amp that sounds the best of all our amps with a violin, and I use a small 4 channel mixer with effects to add depth. The bass amp has less high end, which is good for me since my violin is a bit trebly when plugged in, but the EQ on the keyboard amps tone it down quite a bit, and do a nice job.
From Chris Yohn
Posted on November 13, 2012 at 12:43 AM
I realize this is not an answer to your question, but I have never needed an amp and have always played through the PA system. I have a Fishman transducing pickup going into an L.R. Baggs acoustic direct box that goes straight into the PA. IMHO, this sounds better than the few times I've played through an acoustic amp. Way less baggage as well.
From Sandy Herrault
Posted on November 13, 2012 at 05:30 PM
I link the Crate 30 with the Fishman Loudbox, (not the mini, but that would work as well. I like the two different sounds blending. I think the Loudbox is grittier and has more bass. I think the Crate as clear treble. Hope this explains why I do it, though I just lucked into this setup.
From James Bailes
Posted on November 14, 2012 at 02:49 AM
I'm sure it's too late for me to chime in here, but I wouldn't really suggest a guitar amp. The big thing is finding an amp that is designed to handle the frequency range of a violin. My suggestion would be a keyboard amp or what was suggested earlier, straight into a portable PA.
From Paul Deck
Posted on November 14, 2012 at 03:33 AM
Fender Passport is a nice, small, compact, easily portable PA. I use it for my Yamaha keyboard. It it not powerful enough for the loudest gigs that I play but for everything else it's fine. There are a few different sizes.

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Galamian's Principles Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle