Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Electric Violin + Headphones = Quiet???

Instruments: My new electric violin does not seem to be any quieter with the headphones in? How do I fix this?

From Erika Burns
Posted June 27, 2012 at 02:52 AM

I just bought/received a Cecilio CEVN-1BL Electric Violin... it was kind of an impulse purchase because my family is going on vacation and I wanted to have something quiet (and cheap) that I could play in the hotel room. I liked the idea of getting an electric violin because I could plug the headphones in and practice.

The headphones don't seem to work--the violin sounds exactly as loud with the headphones in as without (and it's somewhat loud). Was I kidding myself in thinking they would work the same way as in a laptop?

Is there any way to get little to no sound out of the violin and still hear it through the headphones?

From Brian Kelly
Posted on June 27, 2012 at 05:26 AM
So this is a solid body electric violin right ? Are you plugging the headphones directly into the violin or are you plugging the headphones into an amplifier ?

If this is an electrified acoustic violin then it will NOT be any quieter then a standard acoustic violin.

From Tobias Seyb
Posted on June 27, 2012 at 05:52 AM
"Is there any way to get little to no sound out of the violin and still hear it through the headphones? "

No, of course not. You can remove the strings, then you get no sound, but also in the headphones.
You should have bought a cheap keyboard.

A Yamaha silent violin is very quiet, but not completely. Electric violins and guitars are still acoustic instruments with vibrating parts.

From Shawn Boucke
Posted on June 27, 2012 at 01:15 PM
The reason why you are not getting any more sound with headphones is because you need a pre-amp.

Electric pickups, are either passive or active. passive does not use any power, but will work when plugged into a powered speaker, or a powered preamp. instruments that have an active pickup have a battery in the instrument, and with those you can plug headphones right into it. I have a passive pickup electric violin, and I plug it into a "Line 6 Pocket Pod Express." It takes 4 AAA batteries, acts as a preamp (So i cam plug headphones into it), and adds some simple effects.

From Smedley Butler
Posted on June 27, 2012 at 02:07 PM
The Yamaha electric violins have a built-in preamp. Mine also has three reverb settings simulating a room, concert hall, etc.

I looked up your model [Cecilio CEVN-1BL] and it too has a preamp. You need to plug the headphones into the "phone" jack. The back of your VSO should look like this: http://bit.ly/LQ45iv

Make sure you have the batteries installed correctly, that you have the headphones plugged into the preamp, and that you have the unit turned on. If you have all of these checked and still no sound you may have a defective unit.

I see you purchased a blue model. Blue VSOs have a mellower sound. Red ones tend to be brighter while those in purple project better. Just thought you might want to know. ;-)

From John Cadd
Posted on June 27, 2012 at 03:00 PM
You seem to be getting answers to ;
"How can I make this Cecilio (and/or Yamaha ) louder?"
We don`t want to hear that .
We want ; "How can we make it quieter ?" And (for me ) how is the tone -----when it`s had the quiet answer .
The Cecilio demo video shows a large flat area under the bridge . That`s a massive vibrating area. If that`s solid -good ,but too heavy . If it`s hollow -bad because too loud --but lighter . Just basic obvious points for that . Not points you can ignore though in a hotel room . The Cecilio imitation violin outline ( all round outline ) seems unnecessary . Better not to have an outline shape at all . You will be able to remember it`s for playing like a violin , but not really. Imagine exercise bikes that crashed into beds.
From David Knutson
Posted on June 27, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Mute the strings - you might start with a dollar bill mute. I've tried that on my Yamaha and it works to a point. A rubber practise mute will also deaden the sound, but it doesn't sound quite right thru the headphones - dead is the right verb. I would only do this to practise bowing and left hand dexterity - the tone sucks. Just returned from a long vacation where I practised in the hotel rooms nightly - headphones without mutes. No complaints.

And no - a fiver will not make it 5 times quieter.

From Roland Garrison
Posted on June 27, 2012 at 04:55 PM
I am not certain how you have it connected, but that may be the issue (with a nod to Smedley, who mentioned this first).

Note the back of the violin:
http://www.amazon.com/Cecilio-CEVN-1BL-Electric-Silent-Fittings/dp/B003F1M2ZC

Do NOT have anything connected to the Line Out.
Plug your headphones into the Phone connection
Your choice on MIC connection; depends on if you sing.

Then the sound of the strings will be as minimized as possible (without a mute, at least), and you will not be also sending the sound through your amp.

"Where did the Suzuki CD go?"

Suzuki Violin School Good news! All the Suzuki Violin School CDs are available now as digital downloads on Amazon.com. But why take the time to search for them all? We've collected links to each album for Suzuki Violin Books 1 - 8.

Get them now! Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Vol. 4 | Vol. 5 | Vol. 6 | Vol. 7 | Vol. 8