Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Questions for David Garrett

Violinists: Recordings and Performances: Talking with David Garrett tomorrow; y'all have any questions for him?

From Laurie Niles
Posted June 5, 2012 at 07:07 PM

I'm welcoming your questions!

From Skylar Nguyen
Posted on June 5, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Why is he so cute?
How did he get his finger to be so well oiled?
Doesn't he think that his Bazzini dance of the Goblins is a bit "too slow" *wink*?
How many hours do he practice/day?
Did he start traditionally or with Suzuki?
Is he gonna be touring the U.S anytime soon? Especially the winter-land Minnesota?

...Does he have a girlfriend yet?

P.S Laurie, you are sooo lucky to meet David in real life :D!

From Laurie Niles
Posted on June 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Real questions, people! ;)
From Patrick Lengkong
Posted on June 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM
I've always wondered.
If you're already famous, what is your influenced? Who do look up to? You are already a star is there any you still want to be good as? Who would you compare yourself among? Rachel Barton Pine? And lastly when and how did you acquire your current violin>
From Simon Streuff
Posted on June 5, 2012 at 10:59 PM
how much show is acceptable and what is too much? is or will he ever teach? Will we hear him sometimes with Sibelius or Brahms VC?
From Laurie Niles
Posted on June 6, 2012 at 01:06 AM
His new recording is of the Beethoven, actually.
From Wally Yu
Posted on June 6, 2012 at 03:51 AM
How's his repaired Guadagnini?
From Skylar Nguyen
Posted on June 6, 2012 at 04:07 AM
Laurie-

is it to real question, very important as a matter of fact ;D

BTW, I thought it was his Strad........

From Terry Hsu
Posted on June 6, 2012 at 04:08 AM
What is his take on the state of classical music? Does he have a strategy for making it more popular? Does he think that the classical music industry is too stodgy? Has he ever written his own cadenzas to any concertos and would he?

Who are his favorite violinists? Who are his favorite musicians? Does he have any intention of teaching, of getting married and/or having a family? What would he tell someone who was interested in making the violin a career?

From Laurie Niles
Posted on June 6, 2012 at 05:41 AM
:) There we go! Yes, there seems to be confusion over the Strad/Guad. I'm under the impression it was a Strad that was broken.
From Momoko Takahashi
Posted on June 7, 2012 at 02:02 AM
What he'd suggest to performers on stage so we won't repeat his tragedy? (Even when wearing flat shoes I'm terrified of going down the steps - and holding on the rail for your dear life doesn't look very professional.)
From Carlo Ballara
Posted on June 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Definantly a Guad broken. He's playing a Strad now.

Could you ask him what brand of lightweight case he was wearing when he fell down the stairs? It totally failed to protect his violin and I believe a Musafia would have prevented this. My guess is that it was either a BAM hightech or more likely one of Gewa's thermoshell cases.

Cheers Carlo

From David Whitehurst
Posted on June 10, 2012 at 05:32 AM
Did you find out about the Paganini movie he's going to be doing?
From Laurie Niles
Posted on June 10, 2012 at 05:41 AM
David, hmm, interesting, I did not! I'll see if I can't get that, though.
From Roxanne Hart
Posted on June 11, 2012 at 06:13 AM
I would like to ask David, what is a perfect day for him?
From Nate Robinson
Posted on June 11, 2012 at 02:03 PM
Why does he play Hora Staccato with spiccato? Also any plans on him setting a new 'Guinness record' for fastest Beethoven Concerto? :)
From Simon Streuff
Posted on June 11, 2012 at 02:18 PM
coming to the beasty questions: What does he say about this compared to his "world record":
From Nate Robinson
Posted on June 11, 2012 at 04:16 PM
From Skylar Nguyen
Posted on June 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM
-Simon

That that dude with the Hitler's beard is dead already :p

From Carlo Ballara
Posted on June 12, 2012 at 06:22 AM
@Skylar. Hitler, to my knowledge did not have a beard. Kavakos is alive and well. I heard him play the Sibeleus live. I will never forget that concert. Incredible musicality.

Cheers Carlo

From Simon Streuff
Posted on June 12, 2012 at 07:01 AM
Skylar: Hitler had a shorter beard (like Charlie Chaplin). And I hope you know that comparing someone to him isn't that complimentary and in germany politically incorrect.
Plus Kavakos is from Greece, an country wich founded the european philosophical culture. And he is one hell of an violinist and an interesting living performer, still alive ;)

From N.A. Mohr
Posted on June 12, 2012 at 06:22 PM
Carlo is correct. Hitler never had a beard.

He did sport a moustache though.

...btw...if you want to see Charlie Chaplin playing Hitler...Google 'The Great Dictator' 1940...

From Simon Streuff
Posted on June 12, 2012 at 07:46 PM
ok, I didn't know that there is any difference in having a beard and a mustache. In germany the kind of beard Hitler had is just calles "Hitlerbart" wich means Hitler-beard. Wich is two fingers broad under the nose. But its more popular on british partys nowadays.
From André Oliveira
Posted on June 12, 2012 at 08:04 PM
I always wanted to know who owns a Strad and a guad the difference between them,in terms of sound.

thanks Laurie

From André Oliveira
Posted on June 12, 2012 at 08:21 PM
but I think it has already been done a few days

=(

no problem

From Benedict Gomez
Posted on June 13, 2012 at 02:57 PM
The one thing I'd want to know, is something that would be difficult to ask without sounding like a jerk. Which is, what did it feel like to break a Guadagnini? And I mean that deeply beyond the simplistic obviousness of the question, since a Guad, Amati, Strad etc.. isnt just a beautiful instrument, but a historical treasure of which there is a very small, fixed, limited quantity. I cant imagine how awful I would have felt had I destroyed something so wonderful, like ruining a Monet. But again, it's kindof a terrible question to ask unless he's a friend of yours, but emotionally, it's something I have wondered re: Garrett.... the guilt, how long did it take to get over it, etc....
From Terry Hsu
Posted on June 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Laurie, when do we get to hear from David Garrett? Terry

"Delve into the delicate nuances of creativity"

Hilary Hahn Violinist Hilary Hahn offers the foreword to The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, an engaging collection of interviews with some of the world's top violinists, including Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, David Garrett, and of course, Hilary herself.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Aaron Rosand

Interview: Aaron Rosand

To speak to violinist Aaron Rosand is to gain a sense of what it was like to come of age as a violinist in the mid 20th century.
Part One | Part Two