Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

Bach performance recordings in the public domain

Violinists: Recordings and Performances: Professional pianists put Bach performances into public domain. Who are the concert violinists doing this?

From Mike Laird
Posted May 29, 2012 at 08:38 PM

Concert pianists are recording Bach and putting the recording into the public domain for free download and sharing via the internet. The Bach Goldberg Variations is an example. This is an excellent resource for students, as well as a source of enjoyment for many listeners. What concert violin soloists are doing this, and where are the web site downloads?

From Gene Wie
Posted on May 30, 2012 at 01:47 AM
What they did for the Goldberg Variations, and the improvements to MuseScore is pretty awesome. Maybe it's Time for us teachers to band together and do a freely available book of the popular student concertos that are in the public domain?

First, we offer multiple versions of every piece, first a "clean" part with no fingerings or bowings, and a few "suggested" versions with several approaches that we arrive at through peer-review.

Second, instead of a single recording of each work, we present several interpretations from different artists, perhaps voting on the ones we wish to include?

Third, we find a way for the proceeds above and beyond that used by the project (to advocate, record, publish, etc.) to benefit music programs for children in areas that have been hit by budget cuts and worse.

In making the MuseScore, MusiTex, LilyPond, or whatever format of these pieces available, we encourage students to explore the technology options available to them, like creating their own cadenza directly in the work and printing it, or using the PDF files to perform using a tablet computer, or creating their own personal edition of their fingerings and bowings that they save for future critique.

--

I'd be happy to contribute the time and talents of an excellent community and/or youth orchestra to record some of the concertos with if you're willing to make a trek out to Southern California!

From Paul Deck
Posted on May 30, 2012 at 04:00 AM
Gene after reading your post, I suddenly had the idea that I should be teaching my 10-year-old to use musical notation software. Maybe that was not the intention of your post -- and maybe this particular cabernet is just too smooth -- but I credit you for this idea nevertheless.