Welcome! Log in, or Join

Printer-friendly version

Violin tuner software.

Accessories: Do you use one? What are the good one? What would you expect from it?

From Pirisino Romain
Posted April 18, 2012 at 04:17 PM

Hi,

I'm an adult beginner student, so my ears aren't very well trained.
I'm currently using AP Tuner, on my computer to tune my violin. It's not that bad, but I feel that some things are missing (like saving my A at 442Hz).

So question come to my mind.
Do you ever used computer software to tune you're violin, and which one?

I've even touched the idea of developing one (hard thing, their seem to be a lot of maths involved).
What would you expect from it?

From Shawn Boucke
Posted on April 18, 2012 at 05:57 PM
Cleartune for iPhone ($.99)
G-strings for Android (free)

Both have amazing options, even able to change the temperament.

From Patrick Tinney
Posted on April 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Shawn, you were lucky. When I bought Cleartune it was $3.99 plus tax, which is what I just found on a couple of sites. Itunes just says "downloaded". I love Cleartune since it has a pitch pipe function that I use to produce drones.

My favorite tuner for actually tuning my instruments and testing our organ at church is the Miso Tuner, which is a strobe tuner emulation which cost $0.99.

HTH
Pat T.

From Gene Wie
Posted on April 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
I use Miso Tuner with my students to help them find a single starting reference pitch, before working through intervals.

For such an inexpensive application, it works quite well.

From Kristian Rereth
Posted on April 19, 2012 at 04:35 AM
>my ears aren't very well trained

Train them! Use the software for the A-string only and then do the other strings with your own ears (control and andjust it afterwards though). Ask your teacher how to do it and how it is supposed to sound when it is not tuned and how it is when it is tuned. After a month or two you should be able to tune without help. At least you should not need any tone besides the A.

From Christian Lesniak
Posted on April 19, 2012 at 05:51 AM
John, if you were to happen to find that, I would be most interested. I think it would be a very interesting project to catalogue the placement of different musicians' intervals. I suppose one should always be conscious of the pitch relationships one employs at all times, in order to really bolster a strong and consistent sense of intonation. Both as someone that finds the individual differences interesting in their own rights, and as someone that is currently trying to find my own definitions, a really good, practical overview, comparing different takes on the flexible qualities of intonation would be very helpful. This stuff can get a bit overwhelming.
From Pirisino Romain
Posted on April 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM
> Kristian

I only tune my A with my tuner, but I find interesting that there are no open source tuner out there. There are some thing for windows, app on iphone/droid/wp7, but linux and bsd user are left with nothing.
Moreover, it's somehow helpfull for self teaching people to know more on less if they're in tune on a given note.

From Trevor Jennings
Posted on April 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I still rely on my tuning fork. It doesn't wear out, break, or need batteries.
From Gene Wie
Posted on April 19, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Yeah, I it's not convenient carrying around extra forks for 441, 442, 443, etc.

I use one for 440, but the software definitely helps in setting different reference pitches.

From Shawn Boucke
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 04:07 AM
Ah. I think I did pay $3.99 for it. I don't know what i was thinking. I am all for training your ear, but it is good to have both. Especially good to have a tuner that can change to the temperament of tuning two violin strings together (Pythagorean)
From Shawn Boucke
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 08:41 PM
It's not to hear the sound from the tuner, but for the tuner to hear the instrument. When you set the tuner to Pythagorean, and tune by ear A:D D:G A:E, then the needle will be set to understand that specific type of tuning. That way you can practice tuning by ear, and see how accurate it is at the moment.
From Paul Deck
Posted on April 21, 2012 at 04:50 AM
@John Cadd, that's true, but when you have a class of a couple of dozen young Suzuki kids and they all need to line up and get tuned, it's a lot easier to send them into a room where the Suzuki Mom (or Dad) can tweak their fine tuners up and down just using an electronic tuner. It's very fast and for Suzuki Class it's not critical to have the most precise tuning.
From Kristian Rereth
Posted on April 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM
>linux and bsd user are left with nothing
Well, they are not known for their great software-repertoire, are they. I never bothered using a tuner software, but I can only suggest to use a windows program with wine under linux, that might work. By the way: Cheap electrical tuners are not expensive, or are they?