Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

EVAH PIRAZZI GOLD!

News: A new string set, a better alternative?

From Frances Gottlieb
Posted April 13, 2012 at 03:07 PM

Hello everyone,

Has anyone tried/heard of Evah Pirazzi Gold violin strings?

I've tried passione, obligato, pirazzi, new tonica, though still prefer timeless dominant + Jargar forte E

How is Evah Pirazzi GOLD different from the rest of string sets in the market?

Any suggestions?

pirastro.com

From Brian Lee
Posted on April 13, 2012 at 04:18 PM
From Scott Cole
Posted on April 13, 2012 at 05:25 PM
They're likely to be at least $80 a set. The problem is, who's going to spend that much just to try them? The string makers seem to be pushing the consumer relentlessly up-market with more exotic materials and claims. Perhaps it's a natural consequence of the splintering of the string market. There are so many brands and choices it's impossible to keep up. I've spent the money on some of the expensive strings, but they seem to always end up in my string drawer and I put the Dominants back on.
From Tom Holzman
Posted on April 13, 2012 at 07:34 PM
You might want to consult your luthier, who, unlike us, can hear your violin to advise on what effect the new strings will have on your sound. They probably won't improve it enough to be worth the price, but at least a luthier will be able to judge what effect they might have.
From Brian Lee
Posted on April 13, 2012 at 08:53 PM
From Scott Cole
Posted on April 13, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Idea for new string:
Eva Iridium. They could call it the "K-T" string: "after these strings, all others will become extinct!"
Price: $450.
From Cara Williams
Posted on April 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Anyone know if theyre being sold anywhere in the UK?
If not will order from America. I'm due a string change next week, Evah Pirazzi's were a close 2nd favourite on my violin to Peter Infeld, which still seem a bit harsh for me/my violin.
Going to give this a go, I will report back ;)
From Momoko Takahashi
Posted on April 14, 2012 at 04:52 AM
Scott:

You know there'll be nutcases who'll shell out $450, hoping that it'll make them sound like Joshua Bell.

From Brian Lee
Posted on April 14, 2012 at 05:00 AM
From Millie Bartlett
Posted on April 14, 2012 at 06:55 AM
I tried Shar Music online yesterday but they were out of stock for now.
From John Dukes
Posted on April 14, 2012 at 02:14 PM
HAHA:) I don't care for Bell's interpretations very much either.
From Scott Cole
Posted on April 14, 2012 at 03:19 PM
$450 is for the student set. For those who like some decay at phrase endings, the better choice may be cobalt-59 ($900), which has a half-life of 77 days and decays to nickel. Then you can sell them to a fiddler.
From Lisa Van Sickle
Posted on April 14, 2012 at 04:35 PM
Scott, I see a HUGE future in marketing for you.
From Trevor Jennings
Posted on April 14, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Many years ago there was a brand of fountain pen (remember those?) which was advertised as having an iridium tip. I don't know what overwhelming advantage iridium could possibly have had over standard steels nibs, or even the good old goose quill for that matter, but doubtless it helped that pen to sell well since most people wouldn't have had the faintest idea what iridium was – the word alone looking exotic and expensive, so it must have been the tops.
[Later Edit: have I inadvertently written a little parable?]
Getting back to violin strings, I wonder if there is research into the possibility of using fibers made out of carbon nano tube in violin string construction.
From elise stanley
Posted on April 14, 2012 at 07:18 PM
I guess that would be a pretty good description of those recent strings made of spider web...
From Simon Streuff
Posted on April 14, 2012 at 09:15 PM
curious to read about the evah pirazzi gold from someone who played them ;)

edit: this string is so stupid expensive I would hate it to be good!

From Momoko Takahashi
Posted on April 15, 2012 at 06:22 AM
Scott: ROFL. Nice to know someone here who knows a bit of chemistry and some nuclear physics reactions.

I'm buying a set of Evah Gold, my strings need a change anyway. See how they fare.

From Andrew Holland
Posted on April 15, 2012 at 04:40 PM
The set with the silver G (like a regular Evah G) isn't much more expensive than a regular set of Evahs. So they're expensive - but tons of people are willing to shell out for regular Evahs, and these aren't priced that differently (except for the gold G).
From Simon Streuff
Posted on April 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM
maybe the prices in us are different, but the normal ep are around 60€ and the gold are over 100€ a set. With silver G, its around 80€ still a big difference. And who wants to play EP Gold, with Silver G ?!
From paulo silva
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 09:10 PM
Experimentei hoje as novas evah gold e gostei imenso pois têm um grande volume e ao mesmo tempo são doces e com um som redondo o sol em ouro tem um som muito especial.Embora tenham um preço alto cerca de 95€ acho que vale a pena experimentar.
From Robert Leon
Posted on April 21, 2012 at 01:57 AM
When anyone has a chance, how do you think they will compare to standard Evahs (the tension kills me-I hope it's lower)

I just went ahead on got a gold g, d, a since the sets sold out in many places and i use my own e string anyway (westminster or oliv gold e)

From paulo silva
Posted on April 21, 2012 at 05:36 PM
Penso que a tenção se for mais baixa não é uma diferença muito grande mas têm uma resposta mais rapida e sao muito mais macias que as evah normais.
Já li que alguns andam á procura das novas evah eu comprei em http://www.mjsebastiao.com/ que é uma amiga minha embora ainda não estejam no site mas ela já as tem se quiserem podem telefonar para ela pois tem bons preços e tambem envia por correio para o estranjeiro.
From Carlo Ballara
Posted on April 25, 2012 at 03:03 PM
@Paulo, I am sure your contribution is very valid and you clearly have much to say on this subject. However, it would be easier for those of us who can't read Spanish, if you could repost in English.

Cheers Carlo

From Andrew Holland
Posted on April 25, 2012 at 05:17 PM
I think it's Portugese
From paulo silva
Posted on April 25, 2012 at 09:44 PM
I think the tension is that lower is not a very big difference but have to respond more quickly and are much softer than the normal evah.
I have read that some are looking evah I bought new in http://www.mjsebastiao.com/ that is a friend of mine though not yet on the site but she can have them if they want to call her because he has good prices and also send by mail to the other country.Sorry but my english is very bad
From Carlo Ballara
Posted on April 26, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Thanks Paulo

Cheers Carlo

From elise stanley
Posted on April 26, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Paulo - your english is way better than most of our portugese! Thanks for the feedback.
From Frederick Rupert
Posted on May 4, 2012 at 08:29 PM
I just bought an A and D of these strings. They are very good indeed. I do agree that the tension feels a bit lower than the medium Evahs, which I have never cared for--too much tension and hard to play. They remind me of the Weich (light) Evahs, which have the same tension as medium Obligatos. Paired up with an extra Passione G I had around and a Jargar Forte E, they make a fine sound!

The sound is warm and beautiful. It's not quite up to the level of Pirastro Oliv, but then what is? (I think the Oliv silver D is the best D on the market, period, but that's my taste.) The strings are responsive and quite easy to play.

Try them! I'll report back on durability later.

From Popi stavrinidou
Posted on May 8, 2012 at 07:38 PM
Has any one tried before the passione and now the Gold Pirazzi?to make a comparison..which is the darker,or/and softer?And the Gold G of pirazzi is not more brilliant than the regular of the new Pirazzi?
From David McFadden
Posted on June 26, 2012 at 04:12 AM
I was told by a violin shop that the G string is the only one in the set that is different from the regular Eva Pirazzi, so i just put a G on my violin 2 weeks ago. It is very focused and powerful. I find the sound is brighter than the regular Eva Pirazzi, also a little bigger sound, and a bit more gutsy and a fuller sound spectrum. I am a high tension fan, so for me I think the string is very impressive. Having said that, i have used both passione and passione solo, (i liked both on my Gofriller, but the solo was better) and they are not as power and throaty a sound as this new Gold EP string.

From what everyone is saying about the tension of the set, I think I should try the rest and see for myself!

From Robert Leon
Posted on June 28, 2012 at 03:43 PM
I have tried the new Evah Pirazzi gold strings (gold g) with an Eudoxa stark for about 2 months now, and at first they were amazing! - full, powerful, and dark. However, as the strings degrade, its loses its vibrant qualities quickly. Its a bit harder to pull out that huge sound, and at times the overtones seem a tad sour on my particular violin. Compared to dominants, the g is defiantly more powerful with a wider range of response, as for the entire set. However, dominants provide that warmth that these strings can't really find, but make up for in that typical, pushy sound of the standard evah pirazzis. So how do these strings compare to passione solos? -thats what im thinking of trying next for a more complex sound
From sarah salmi
Posted on June 28, 2012 at 07:11 PM
I put on a set of Evah Pirazzi Gold on my new violin yesterday.
I've had the violin for a year and have only had the regular Evahs on it before.
Here are my thoughts so far.
When i first took them out of the package they looked thinner than the regular Evahs, especially the E string, it looked tiny.
When i first played a few notes on the E it felt like an instant bell like response.. i think that is the seductive part of the string set, they have a clear and brilliant tone.

My violin has a full bodied sound, a deep sound, yet shimmering and light. I have never bothered to try a different set of strings because i feel that the Evahs are a good match.
These strings are different, they don't just look thinner, they feel thinner as well, my fingers haven't adjusted to that feel yet. And the sound appears to me as thinner and brighter, and i have yet to decide if that's a good thing or not, it brings more brilliance but that really round dark sound is a bit missing.

But the thing that bothers me about the string is that it can't take as much bow pressure as the regular Evahs, at least not after playing them for one day. The sound breaks easily, and they seem to like bow speed more than pressure. (a good thing i like bow speed)
They sound more mellow and i don't hear the same powerful volume in them. They remind me of Passiones, but i haven't tried them on this violin so i can't really judge
People often say that Evahs are tense, and that hasn't been a problem for me with my new (amazing) violin. I don't know if the tension is the same on these, but as i said, my fingers haven't adjusted yet, maybe that's because of a different tension or thickness.

The strings became stable after about 1 hour of tuning.

These are the Pirastro statements that i can agree with: brilliant golden tone. a marked presence and clarity and outstanding pedal-like resonance,

But this statement, so far i cannot agree with:
At the same time our strings respond immediately to high bow pressure, translating the violinist's energy into powerful sonorities.

But i guess this also depends a lot on the particular instrument.

Conclusion:
Can these strings seduce and inspire a violinist? Absolutely!

From sarah salmi
Posted on July 6, 2012 at 09:04 PM
Since my last post, the strings have changed. They now respond to bow pressure and the playability is amazing as well as the sound of these strings! They make me play better and sound better, i'm so happy i can't stop playing!
From Frederick Rupert
Posted on August 12, 2012 at 09:46 PM
I have been using a set (A,D,silver G) with a Jargar Forte E since April. They're nice strings, but I don't think I will purchase them again. Why?

1. High price
2. The sound was initially very beautiful but quickly progressed to average, with many of the high overtones disappearing. They sounded kind of dead by one month and are ready for the trash can now after 4 months, even though they physically look fine.
3. Despite my earlier post that the tension seemed lower than regular Evahs, longer acquaintance has changed my mind. I think they are probably the same tension.

Fred

From Jerry Koziorynsky
Posted on August 13, 2012 at 03:33 AM
I agree they are expensive. However, I don't think i've ever left strings on my violin for four months. Thats a really long time. Then again, I'm incredibly sensitive to sound and can tell immediately when strings loose that "sparkle" you speak of. It drives me absolutely insane. So I change strings.

At any given time there is anywhere between 50 - 60 lbs of pressure on the top play of the violin. So structurally speaking, everything that goes into the make up of a string has broken down at the three or four week point. A friend who is an engineer major ( or something fancy like that) explained this after he took an old string apart. From the way the silver contracts and expands during tuning and weather changes to synthetic core itself, has broken down by about 4 weeks. Maybe 5 weeks if you don't play a ton. Hence why strings loose their "sparkle". It happens way earlier than four months, some people (like myself) are more sensitive to it.

I actually think the tension of the Evah Pirazzi Gold are substantially lower than the regular. I simply cant use the regulars due to their tension and (obviously) I really enjoy EPG. As the string gets older, the tension should lower.

From Hanan McMillan
Posted on September 9, 2012 at 01:00 AM
They take a while to fully settle in (the A string especially), however they are amazing strings. Compared to regular Evah Pirazzi's, I find them clearer the higher up the position, especially on the D & G (the silver G). Plus they really suit my violin a lot - but then I thought regular Evah's did as well, so...

My one little complaint is that the E isn't very nice sounding. I think it was a bit overly bright, possibly a bit harsh. So I changed it to a Jargar E.

It will be interesting to see how long they last. Hopefully longer than the regulars which were about 4 months.

From Joel Jacklich
Posted on September 9, 2012 at 07:33 PM
I hate to admit it, but I have one instrument (one of my violas) that has Prim steel strings on it that are more than 16 years old (and still in tune).
[This is relation to the comments about having to change strings often.]
From Aditya Chander
Posted on September 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM
I used Evah Pirazzi Gold, G and D string only, and they sounded really great on my old 1776 School of Richard Duke violin. They felt comfortable under the fingers because they weren't too tense, and they had a very full ringing sound that blended well with my Larsen Steel A and Goldbrokat E strings. Very clear further up the string as well. I used the silver G so don't know if the gold G adds anything but I'd like to hear if it does.
From kypros christoudoulides
Posted on September 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Hello, I've just tried a set of gold with the gold G on my 1857 J.B.Vuillaume violin and they really made a difference. The middle strings especially. They gave it more quality all over, more punch and brilliance. I'm sticking to them as they are the best strings I have ever used on the Vuillaume. Now all I have to do is wait to see how long they last. Pirastro say,the silver G has the same qualities as the Gold,only more brilliant.
From jose m g. belmonte
Posted on September 16, 2012 at 07:08 PM
I put them on my violin a few days ago, very nice strings. Maybe not as loud and brilliant as regular evah, but still powerful and with more color to the sound and maybe less tension too. To me they combine the best qualities of dominant and the regular evah pirazzi, except for the E, which was loud but not very focused.
From Popi stavrinidou
Posted on November 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM
I have bought the pirazzi Gold with silver G,they have less tension than the other pirazzi,I think more than obligato..but are brighter,smooth sound,they requoir more bow pressure,that personnaly I don't like because I have a soft bow.I don't think I'll buy again,after 3 weeks I put the Titanium orchestra on and for my violin does not make such a difference to the tonal caracter..the price does!so I stay with the Titanium(orchestra or solo..)with a Olive E have a good balance.
I haven't yet tried passione,I should like them as they have low tension,but are expensive!
From elise stanley
Posted on December 15, 2012 at 03:12 AM
Anyone have any updates on these strings? I'm particularly interested in whether the sound lasts longer than on the regulars?

thanks
ee

From elise stanley
Posted on December 17, 2012 at 07:44 AM
Noone else uses these? I just bought the A and D, replacing my tziganes (which are only a week old- so comparisons are valid). They too a couple of days to settle in - a bit like Passiones in that regard. Curiously, if you release the tension it seems you have to go through the settling in again.

The violin opened up immediately and both the E and G became more responsive. Also I noticed an improvement in dynamics, something I've been struggling a bit with. So the initial impression is very favourable.

Now the test (considering the regular EPs) is will this last?

From Hanan McMillan
Posted on December 17, 2012 at 09:32 PM
I use the EP GOLD D and G silver wound strings. I've had them on for about 2-3ish months and they still sound good. :) I usually play for an hour a day, give and take.

I did have the A as well which took over a week to settle but replaced it with a Passione A. My violin is rather fussy with A strings. I didn't like the E at all, one play and I changed to a Jargar Forte E. But that's just my personal preference.

From elise stanley
Posted on December 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Thanks Hanan, seems you and I are the only ones with the EPGs on!

I only put on the D and A - I'm wedded to the Olive gold E (do try it, I think its even better than the Jaeger) and use an Obligato G which is low tension and tames the wolf on my violin.

Good to hear that they've lasted you that long - though I do play a lot more, typically 3 hrs a day so I'll just have to report back at the 2-3 month point.

From sarah salmi
Posted on December 18, 2012 at 03:31 PM
Elise, the regular Evahs usually last for 3 months on my violin, and the Golds lasted 4 months.. So not much of a difference. And i put them on in the summer when i didn't play as much.
From Royce Faina
Posted on December 18, 2012 at 06:58 PM
I haven't used these (E.P.Gold) for my older violin I tried various strings and switched back to what the luthier my mother bought this violin from suggested, "Dominant-weick; silver-D, aluminum-A with the non-whistling-E" As for the Hondge that I bought this past March it leans towards 'Stark strings'. I may look into the Golds? P.I.s are really good for either instruments as are Visions (not the solo or titaniums). And a rehair by Josh Henrey is always a good choice too! :o)
From elise stanley
Posted on December 18, 2012 at 08:26 PM
sarah: I found (and others here too - somewhere in the archives!) that the regular EPs last - but their amazing sound doesnot fare so well and dies off within a couple of weeks. Was that not the case for you? Thats why I'm wondering if the new golds sustain for longer - and 4 months rather than 3 is significant (for example per year, at ~$80/set thats $320 for the regular and $240 for the golds, saving $80).
From Simon Streuff
Posted on December 18, 2012 at 09:41 PM
I just make an experiment: Leaving my strings on the instrument until I cant stand it anymore. And I have to say the at least 3 month old EP and the larsen g still do their job. I also think that one can get addicted to new strings, wich is like all addictions quite costly. I am just partly being ironic here.
I am doing this experiment because I know several musicians who keep their strings on until they brake, its so much up to the player. One argument though is that it gets harder to play clean on old string. On the other hand playing clean has not much to do with finger positions on the finger board and more with the ability to adept. Good players will play in tune even on an slightly out of tune instrument.
I think we underrate the potential of synthetic strings to last forever! If you are not addicted to the new-sound, you can save a lot of money and still your violin will sound good and your strings will not brake due to the good material they are made of.
I did changed my E-String though and also will continue changing strings once in a while. But if you are not a orchestral players (who can get strings payed from the orchestra most certainly) or an performing chamber music professional or soloist, I don't see too much necessity in changing the strings too often. Maybe change to fresh strings one or two weeks before a performance...
Me letting my strings on until end of the year has also to do with the amount of music I play in winter/xmas. Its so much that new strings would wear down very quickly during orchestral or ensemble playing in minor gigs.
From sarah salmi
Posted on December 18, 2012 at 09:54 PM
Maybe there are some small changes to the sound after a while, but they still live up to all demands. I have found that the Evahs after about 3 months suddenly loose both sound and playability and that's when i change strings.
From elise stanley
Posted on December 18, 2012 at 09:54 PM
Thats a good point Simon. Trouble was when the tziagnes (which I was using) went off they started to be unplayable - inconsistent tone to the point where I sound far worse than I am! Thats what I was saying about my impressoin of the EPs that even when they deteriorate they still sound true.

But your point remains that its very easy to get hooked on changing strings for that cool new string sound. Pehaps the string manufacturers build deterioration of tone into the string else we wouldn't replace them! Note that gut strings fray but they tend to keep the same tone till the grim point where they break - which for the D or A could be years....

From Simon Streuff
Posted on December 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM
yes, the larsen tzigane are strange strings, in a way they are outstanding due to their concept of low tension and still quite projecting sound, on the other hand they go false very quickly and tend to be not the easiest to play. Very similar to the PI I find, but the PI's are much rounder in sound.
I like EP very much, but compared to the singing gut sound, wich is still my ideal, they could sound a little like a trumpet, wich is not really the idea of a violin sound. Loud and good response and projection is good, but at what cost.
Still on my violin they work good for D and A and they last long too, if I take care of them.
Sometimes I mess around with Larsen A string for better connection to the E string. But the playability of the EP is just superior in my eyes.
I am actually quite interested in the EP Gold, but I hate expensive strings since every string doesn't last very long if you play much and 100 Euros every 2-3 months is just inpractible. As in love I am with the sound of my violin as much do I know, that I can do more with what I have when I practice good and take care of my instrument.
And if I would go with expensive strings, I would chose oliv stiff for D and G and maybe a larsen A and Eudoxa E. thats also around 115 Euros, but the most amazing setup I know, still not very practical due to tuning issues of the gut strings.
They are pretty stable but in many ensembles tuning is obsolete because noone plays on gut anymore, its not good if you are the one always silently tuning during a concert ;) If I would play solo only I would maybe go with it. Or with passiones, wich is also a string on my list wich is expensive but interesting... damn good marketing!
From Trevor Jennings
Posted on January 15, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Further to my post of April 14, 2012, I can now report that scientists have developed a carbon nanotube (CNT) fiber having the appearance and flexibility of black cotton thread, but with the strength of carbon fiber. See,
http://news.rice.edu/2013/01/10/new-nanotech-fiber-robust-handling-shocking-performance-2/

As to its possible application to violin strings, watch this space (for the next few years).

From Pauline Lerner
Posted on March 10, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Has anyone used Evah Pirazzi, Gold or non-gold, on the viola? I'm especially concerned about the finding that these strings only last for 3-4 months.
From Tony Anzlovar
Posted on September 16, 2013 at 01:14 AM
I've just gone through a set of EP Gold II strings and can attest to the fact that:

1. The sheen wears off in about 2-3 weeks.
2. They last about 3 months and progressively melow out to the point of becoming a "tutti" string.
4. After 3 months it becomes almost impossible to play double stops in tune. They sound alive, but quiet and mostly out of tune.

In addiditon:
1. E strings whistles like mad
2. By the time G and D become resonant, E and A have begun losing their shimmer.
3. It's easy to push them to their limit (which also kills them quickly)
4. The strings are sticky. I had to use baby powder to be able to switch positions in the beginning. They get stickier in humid env. (No, my hands do not sweat)
5. Very VERY picky with harmonics when humid.

Good points include:
1. Good projection, loud, clean and complex.
2. Very nice sustain and ringing.

All in all - I think I will pass next time. They are too pricey for what they offer.

From Rocky Milankov
Posted on September 16, 2013 at 02:30 AM
D' Addario Zyex seam to be the best kept secret on the violin string market.
Affordable, stable and so far with no decay over time. Quite contrary, the longer I play them, the better they sound is.

The sound is powerful and clean. What I really like is that they do not mask or alter your violin's sound, like Obligatos or Evah.

Here is more about the material used for their core:

http://www.ashawayusa.com/Polyketone1.php

Interestingly, tennis players like this material on their rackets, because it is an excellent substitute for pure gut.

From Darrett Smith
Posted on September 16, 2013 at 06:11 AM
The new formula Zyex are great - I like them quite a lot, especially with the aluminium D string. They remind me of how (regular) Evah Pirazzi used to be made, before they started making the current ones that barely last beyond three or four weeks.
From Andrew Holland
Posted on September 16, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Darrett, do you know if Pirastro actually made any changes to the Evah Pirazzi formula?

"Delve into the delicate nuances of creativity"

Hilary Hahn Violinist Hilary Hahn offers the foreword to The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, an engaging collection of interviews with some of the world's top violinists, including Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, David Garrett, and of course, Hilary herself.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Aaron Rosand

Interview: Aaron Rosand

To speak to violinist Aaron Rosand is to gain a sense of what it was like to come of age as a violinist in the mid 20th century.
Part One | Part Two