Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Violin identification

Instruments: Help with violin identification

From Claude Roumain
Posted March 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Hi all,
Just would like to have some opinion as to the origins of my violin. I have had it for 30yrs at least and am just currious. I do realise it is not going to be a final thing as it is almost impossible to say without having the instrument in ones hand, but please do have a go at it. :)
Here is a ling to the pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77789813@N03/?saved=1
Cheers
Claude

From Claude Roumain
Posted on March 10, 2012 at 06:32 PM
No takers, I am just very currious, sorry I did not know hoe to embed the pictures on sight.
Cheers
Claude
From elise stanley
Posted on March 10, 2012 at 07:29 PM
No label inside? That would be a clue ;)
From Claude Roumain
Posted on March 10, 2012 at 09:37 PM
Hi Elise, unfortunately no labels inside.
From Scott Cole
Posted on March 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM
It would be nice if almost all the photos weren't upside down.
From Claude Roumain
Posted on March 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM
HI Scott
Dorry, I took care of that and turned them arround.
Cheers
Claude
From Parth Doshi
Posted on March 11, 2012 at 04:11 AM
Not sure what it is ( I'm not a luthier). Personally, I don't think anyone will be able to tell you on this website, I've yet to come across a luthier. Maybe a luthier forum would be helpful. Putting that aside, that violin is very beautiful! Hope it plays well, I once tried violin that looked gorgeous, but sounded terrible. Good job for keeping it in great condition for that long!
From Claude Roumain
Posted on March 11, 2012 at 04:20 AM
Hi Parth, thanks, yes it does play quite nicely. It projects verry well and is quiet under the ear. I currently have it stringed with the passione stark, I had tried the Solo and may go back to that.
Cheers
Claude
From sharelle taylor
Posted on March 11, 2012 at 05:32 AM
there are some renowned luthiers who post to this site, but a quicker bet might be maestronet.com. a lot of them post there too :)
From Peter Charles
Posted on March 11, 2012 at 09:00 AM
It looks OK but then nothing special. The scroll is a bit odd!

But if it sounds good then that's what matters. And being 30 years old the sound will hopefully remain good.

From Ulf Kloo
Posted on March 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM
The violin is made with very nice wood. The varnish looks nice and naturally aged. (no fake antiquing) The lower f-hole wings are hollowed out, which indicates that it's made by an individual craftsman and not factory made. The neck is grafted, so someone obviously thought the violin was worth that fairly expensive repair. It also has nice old boxwood fittings which indicates that is has some value. The cracks in the top are either very old, or not very well repaired, which brings the resale value down a bit. Also, I get a feeling that the top has been revarnished, and the shape of the edges have been a bit ruined in the process - but I'm not absolutely sure. That would also bring the value down. But then, you shouldn't expect a huge economic value anyway. The age might be around 150 years or a bit more. That's about all I can say from looking at the photos. You might want to take it to a good luthier and get an evaluation, for your insurance.
From Scott Cole
Posted on March 11, 2012 at 05:48 PM
From Claude Roumain
Posted on March 12, 2012 at 03:10 AM
Thank you all for the replies.
Cheers
Claude

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle