Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

what does 'arco' mean

Technique and Practicing: What is arco?

From Duc Nguyen Ngoc
Posted December 15, 2011 at 03:46 AM

What is arco?

From John Dukes
Posted on December 15, 2011 at 03:48 AM
When you see arco, it means the notes are played by drawing the bow across the strings. If you see Pizz. or pizzicato that means you pluck the strings with your index finger on the left hand.

Edit: Thanks for correcting me Rob :) I don't know what I was thinking when I said use the left hand :)

From Millie Bartlett
Posted on December 15, 2011 at 08:35 AM
Hi Duc, I've used an online music dictionary for terms and abbrevations before that I didn't know the meaning of. I liked the copy/paste link below as it had plenty to choose from.

www.dolmetsch.com/musictheorydefs.htm

After selecting the right part of the alphabet and opening the page that contains the word, I just use CTRL + F to type the word and hit enter. It 'finds' the word straight away, rather than having to scroll down for ages.

Cheers Millie

From Charles Cook
Posted on December 15, 2011 at 08:58 AM
I like to point out that Dolmetsch.com has a nice symbol chart also.

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musicalsymbols.htm

From Rob Schnautz
Posted on December 15, 2011 at 04:37 PM
I'd like to point out pizz. should actually be done with the right hand...unless you see a + sign. Then, and only then, do you attempt to pluck with the left hand.
From Charlie Gibbs
Posted on December 15, 2011 at 08:49 PM
Since it's normal to play with the bow, "arco" usually indicates when to stop playing pizzicato.
From Duc Nguyen Ngoc
Posted on December 16, 2011 at 05:05 PM
Thank you: Millie Bartlett and everyone,
your ideas and instruction are the best for me. I got some understands and will continue to find more for sharing together

"Delve into the delicate nuances of creativity"

Hilary Hahn Violinist Hilary Hahn offers the foreword to The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, an engaging collection of interviews with some of the world's top violinists, including Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, David Garrett, and of course, Hilary herself.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback