Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

Solo pieces in minor keys

Repertoire: I am looking for suggestions on a solo violin piece. I would like a piece in a minor key that is slow in tempo but beautiful, also moderate in difficulty. I can't seem to find a piece that matches this criteria.

From Amanda Peterson
Posted November 9, 2011 at 02:57 PM

I am looking for suggestions on a solo violin piece. I would like a piece in a minor key that is slow in tempo but beautiful, also moderate in difficulty. I can't seem to find a piece that matches this criteria.

Thanks for the help!

From elise stanley
Posted on November 9, 2011 at 05:04 PM
Bruch VC1, 2nd movement? Actally many concerto 2nd movements.
From Bob Leonard
Posted on November 9, 2011 at 05:16 PM
what do you mean by moderate in difficutly?? Do you want a concerto?? Here are some suggestions: in order of interpreted difficulty.

Concertos:

Vivaldi Concerto in A-minor

Bach, J.S. Concerto in A-minor, No.1

Accolay Concerto in A-minor, No.1

Beriot Concerto in A-minor

Vivaldi Four Seasons: Winter in F-minor

Vivaldi Four Seasons: Summer in G-minor

Mendelssohn Concerto in D-minor (the lesser played of the two)

Viotti Concerto in A-minor, No. 22

Solos:
Vitali Chaconne in G-minor

Bach sonatas and partitas

Saint-Saens Sonata in D-minor

Grieg Sonata in C-minor

Faure Sonata in E-minor

Hope this helps and was what you were looking for

From Kathryn Woodby
Posted on November 9, 2011 at 06:13 PM
Canzonetta -2nd mvt. Of Tchaik. Concerto
Sicilienne, from sicilienne and rigaudon by kreisler
From sharelle taylor
Posted on November 10, 2011 at 03:11 AM
Dvorak Sonatine in G, the 2nd movement in Gm 'Indian Love Song' is lovely. It is available in imslp; http://imslp.org/wiki/Sonatina,_Op.100_(Dvo%C5%99%C3%A1k,_Anton%C3%ADn)
From Stephen Symchych
Posted on November 10, 2011 at 03:28 AM
Depends on what you mean by "moderate" but there's a nice Chopin Nocturne in c-sharp minor transcribed/edited by Milstein that is quite lovely. The scales at the end are nasty, of course. The rest of it might not tax your phrasing and shifting ability but it will put them on display.
From Hendrik Hak
Posted on November 10, 2011 at 04:14 AM
Telemann wrote a number of violin solo sonatas that are a little easier than the Bach Sonatas and Partitas. Haven't checked but might be on IMSLP.

Schindler's list music is a bit easier say than the Chopin C sharp minor piece.

(Elgar's Chanson de Matin is an orchestra piece but has been arranged for violin and piano. Is on IMSLP in Canada, don't know if copyrighted in the States. Is in a major key but slow and very melodic.)

Ilya Gringolts

Contest: Paganini Caprices

Enter to win Ilya Gringolts' recording of the 24 Caprices by Paganini.