Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Liu Rong Guo Violins

Instruments: In response to Julianne's blogpost...

From Mattias Eklund
Posted July 24, 2011 at 05:19 PM

Hi Julianne!

You have your blog closed to comments, and I believe that your experience is of a matter that more v.commers is interested of discussing.

For those of you that havn't read her post, please do!:

http://www.violinist.com/blog/JulianneHeinen/20117/12494/

I myself have a Liu Rong Gou violin that I bought for fun, and I am one of the praizers of that maker for student violins. I have fitted it with Passione strings (worth twice of the value of the violin... :) ) and it sounds actually very nice. I would estimate its value just because of its sound to perhaps 600-700$. And I bought it for 200$. Including a decent student bow and a case.

Of course it can't be compared to my 1850 french violin, but it also cost just a fraction of it.

Do other members here have any experience of the maker? Please share if you do!

From Filipe Alves
Posted on July 25, 2011 at 11:28 PM

I have bought from him a copy "Moller", Cremona C 1725, brand Maestro I won it in auction I was the only bidder lucky me!

They had great description about the sound of the instrument so I bided. When it arrived I was absolute stun about the varnish just too perfect to be true.

At first I thought to change the bridge but I decided to give it a go so after changing the strings I noticed that is SO EASY to play in any position, the violin have a great vibration and very clean sound just amazing!

My violin teacher said the same thing when he tried it.

Teacher: "Wow just too easy to play!"

Teacher: "You should take it to Luthier to make an evaluation."

I also loved the bow its heavy and very responsive.

I spent around 400$ with violin plus taxes and new strings.

From Mattias Eklund
Posted on July 27, 2011 at 05:11 PM

Hi Filipe!

Nice to see that your findings mimics mine :) And I agree, it is a very beautiful instrument for it's price! I bought the 1725 Cremonese (that doesn't look like the real dela at all) for myself and the 1696 Archinto strad for a friend. Both are gorgeous and sounds decent. I find the bows a little to heavy for my taste, but works fine for a student bow.

I recommend melody-with-violin for all young students as their first (and perhaps second) instrument.

From Filipe Alves
Posted on July 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I agree with you they are really good for beginners (I am beginner too have been playing for about 1 year).

I had VSO that had pleasant sound but It was so hard to play due to poorly set up, however after having the Liu Rong Guo violin I took the measures and cut the bridge and nut with the same dimensions and now he is alot more playable!

I don't see me in near future changing violin but I think will buy more from them just to admire their beauty?

One more thing they are Indeed cheap but cheap is very relative, I had a Chinese friend that worked 10 hours a day and her salary was only 143$...

From Don Meek
Posted on August 8, 2011 at 10:51 PM

I've just noticed this thread and felt I should write as I have a violin from Lui and just ordered a second.  Like Mattias I too was intrigued by the write up on these violins and at the price, less than £ 200 (USD300) thought I couldn't go wrong for a bit of fun. I wasn't expecting too much but have been pleasantly surprised.

I set the instrument up myself. I set up the sound post, they are travelled with the soundpost down for safety I guess. I replaced the tail piece with a Wittner and kept the bridge put some Prim strings on. The violin was still tacky when it arrived from it's varnish, and initially the sound was very raw but after a week it is now sounding lovely. Really deep and powerful. It is also easy to play without any further adjustment.  Sadly a lot of Luthiers rub their hands in glee when given a Chinese violin recommending everything be replaced $$$ !... I have to say it didn't need it. Yes it is raw.. it's brand new and needs tlc but I can really see this violin improving with age and playing and at that price it's a crazy bargain.  Ive ordered one of their top grade instruments to see if they are an improvement still.  All in all it has been an easy and rewarding transaction so to balance out the other thread I thought I ought to write this !

From Filipe Alves
Posted on August 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM

@Don Meek When it comes don't forget to tell us how good it is or not.

From irene yeong
Posted on August 10, 2011 at 09:42 AM

Do you have the website to order the Liu Rong Guo violin?

Thanks.

From Don Meek
Posted on August 10, 2011 at 10:24 AM

You can buy on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/melodywithviolin 

From Sherman soothoo
Posted on August 10, 2011 at 06:26 PM

I have a violin by melodyviolins...

I didn't like the violin because the neck was too thick, moreover the FB projection was too low for me. To make it worse, there isn't a proper scoop for the FB making pressing the strings difficult.

I feedback to the store and they told me that I am the first one who feedback this to them...so currently the VSO is with my student, i load it to him to play because he had no violin... I still rmb paying USD299 for the instrument... Having said that, the sound wuality of the violin is fairly decent and the look of the VSO is very appealing...

From Julianne Heinen
Posted on August 14, 2011 at 03:28 AM

Mine may have sounded ok if it hadn't been coming UNGLUED. I just don't see how a violin maker cannot know that his violin is coming unglued. That's a major big deal. Mine still has the horrible buzzing vibration despite numerous adjustments. I gave it to Goodwill because it was sucking my Chi. Glad to be rid of the curse of it.

From Mattias Eklund
Posted on August 14, 2011 at 04:38 AM

Julianne - I hope that a luthier can jump in here, but in my experience all violins can become unglued. I remember how Bron's del Gesu became unglued when he visited the northen Sweden, and I bet that it wasn't del Gesu's fault but rather the weather :)

From Don Meek
Posted on August 14, 2011 at 09:04 AM

Did they not offer to replace it? Their customer service is usually astonishingly good. My first arrived in the UK from China in a week. I have found myself playing it in preference to my 1880 French Violin. Just sounds great. Cant wait for the second one.

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Galamian's Principles Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle