Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

unknown violin found!

Instruments: violin found without any label or other marks. looking for more information(year of construction, maker etc)

From dick de graaff
Posted July 13, 2011 at 06:34 PM

a time ago I came across a very nice unlabelled violin apparently very old.  it could be Italian, made by a member of the Gagliano family, but I am a violin player and miss the knowledge to discover the origins of this instrument. It has a beautiful sound, rich amount of overtones, bright, clear and powerful tone. That's the reason why I would like to invite you and try to find an answer to this question...

From Scott Cole
Posted on July 14, 2011 at 01:10 AM

Dick,

What makes you think this fiddle could be a Galiano? It's hard to get a fix on this one, but something about the color of the varnish says "not 18th century Italian" to me. The F-holes are kind of funky.

Any other opinions out there?

Scott

From Hendrik Hak
Posted on July 14, 2011 at 02:05 PM

Do you have more pictures?

Looks like 20th century to me. F holes are amateurish. Is the neck crooked?

From Andre A
Posted on July 14, 2011 at 02:21 PM

This does not look like a violin from a distinguished maker, and the f-holes and scroll is very unconventional. But if the violin has a beautiful sound and responds well, why worry. What is in a name, only money. 

From Tom Holzman
Posted on July 14, 2011 at 11:59 PM

With the caveat that I have no luthier expertise at all, the purfling looks a bit what my daughter would label "sketchy."  It is always important to keep in mind that a violin without any label is likely not to be very valuable or by a well-known maker.  AT least that is the assumption I would work with.  If you really care, take it to a luthier with some expertise, or post some more pics from different angles and see if the luthiers on the site have an opinion.  If it sounds great, don't worry, be happy.  Finding a violin that sounds great that does not run you significant four figures is not easy.

From dick de graaff
Posted on July 15, 2011 at 01:46 PM

Thanks for all answers! The sound of this violin is really exeptional, that's why I would like to know more about its origin. Its playabitiy reminds me of that of an old Italian violin, a Gagliano which I have tried shortly a long time ago. Please look carefully at the pictures below:

Picture 1 (scroll) : oi55.tinypic.com/2akkc3o.jpg

Picture 2 (Back): i51.tinypic.com/11hrl8o.jpg

From Hendrik Hak
Posted on July 15, 2011 at 03:27 PM

Here an 18th century violin, listed as a Nicola Gagliano

http://www.tokyo-strings.co.jp/list/detail/?lang=en&category=Violin&maker=Nicola%20Gagliano

From bill platt
Posted on July 15, 2011 at 03:43 PM

Play it and enjoy it.

From Barry Nelson
Posted on July 15, 2011 at 04:01 PM

I think you just have a modern violin that sounds good, be happy

From dick de graaff
Posted on July 15, 2011 at 05:30 PM

thanks, I will

From Hendrik Hak
Posted on July 16, 2011 at 01:48 AM

Neck looks straight on the view of the back. 

Agree , if the violin sounds exceptional and you didn't pay too much you're a lucky man and enjoy.

Suzuki Violin School

"Where did the Suzuki CD go?"

Good news! All the Suzuki Violin School CDs are available now as digital downloads on Amazon.com. But why take the time to search for them all? We've collected links to each album for Suzuki Violin Books 1 - 8.

Get them now! Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Vol. 4 | Vol. 5 | Vol. 6 | Vol. 7 | Vol. 8

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

We've compiled a list of some of the year's best new offerings from violinists for you to consider.