Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Score for Somewhere over the Rainbow

Repertoire: Does anybody know if there is, or where I could find a score for this instrumental of Somewhere over the Rainbow?

From Duncan Gravill
Posted June 6, 2011 at 01:55 AM

Does anybody know if there is, or where I could findĀ a score for this instrumental of Somewhere over the Rainbow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSE1pCzMx_Y

Thanks

From Charles Cook
Posted on June 7, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Pieces like this one should be  learned by ear.

From Nicole Stacy
Posted on June 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM

That may be true, Charles, but unless Duncan is a first class jazz improviser it's probably not helpful.

That said: the problem (if you will) with jazzers is that they aren't known for always writing stuff down.  I don't think it's likely that you are going to find *this* exact arrangement.  You can, however, find the original song and a number of fakebooks on sheetmusicplus.com.  I tried to find out who the artists are, but nobody seems to know or care to give them credit.

From Joyce Lin
Posted on June 7, 2011 at 02:32 PM

Here is the song's score: www.wikifonia.org/node/1072

Apply rubato and grace notes here and there, and improvise a little, then you will have something pretty close, but better - it's your own version!

From Duncan Gravill
Posted on June 13, 2011 at 04:04 PM

Thanks for the replies,

I have been trying to pick it up by ear actually, but I thought that it would just be easier if I could find the score or a similar score.

Thanks for the link Joyce Lin it's not the exact score for this version but it is very helpful.

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Galamian's Principles Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle

Chiara String Quartet

Contest: Chiara String Quartet

Enter to win "Brahms by Heart," featuring the Chiara String Quartet playing all from memory.