Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Score for Somewhere over the Rainbow

Repertoire: Does anybody know if there is, or where I could find a score for this instrumental of Somewhere over the Rainbow?

From Duncan Gravill
Posted June 6, 2011 at 01:55 AM

Does anybody know if there is, or where I could findĀ a score for this instrumental of Somewhere over the Rainbow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSE1pCzMx_Y

Thanks

From Charles Cook
Posted on June 7, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Pieces like this one should be  learned by ear.

From Nicole Stacy
Posted on June 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM

That may be true, Charles, but unless Duncan is a first class jazz improviser it's probably not helpful.

That said: the problem (if you will) with jazzers is that they aren't known for always writing stuff down.  I don't think it's likely that you are going to find *this* exact arrangement.  You can, however, find the original song and a number of fakebooks on sheetmusicplus.com.  I tried to find out who the artists are, but nobody seems to know or care to give them credit.

From Joyce Lin
Posted on June 7, 2011 at 02:32 PM

Here is the song's score: www.wikifonia.org/node/1072

Apply rubato and grace notes here and there, and improvise a little, then you will have something pretty close, but better - it's your own version!

From Duncan Gravill
Posted on June 13, 2011 at 04:04 PM

Thanks for the replies,

I have been trying to pick it up by ear actually, but I thought that it would just be easier if I could find the score or a similar score.

Thanks for the link Joyce Lin it's not the exact score for this version but it is very helpful.

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

Hear more from the world's top violinists in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which includes our exclusive conversations with Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, and David Garrett, and others, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback