Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Good Student Violins, Shar Music or Southwest?

Instruments: Looking for reviews on $150 student violins. Whose most basic student violin is superior, Shar Music or Southwest Strings?

From Helen Butler
Posted May 3, 2011 at 09:55 PM

Good Student Violins, Shar Music or Southwest?

I teach orchestral strings at a public school. Students sometime ask me for recommendations for purchasing an instrument. I know both Shar music and Southwest Strings to be reputable companies. Because of their specialization with string instruments and their extensive work with schools, I assume even the most basic model violin either company sells would not be a VSO (violin shaped box). Is this assumption incorrect?

Both Shar and Southwest offer a student outfit for around $150. Southwest offers the 104VN - Klaus Mueller Allegro Violin outfit and Shar offers the Franz Hoffmann Amadeus Violin outfit. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Are they quality student instruments? Is one better than the other? Are they actually the same Chinese instrument with different labels?

I would appreciate any feedback regarding either of these models.

Thank you!

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle