Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

19th century, smaller than normal 4/4 violin

Commercial notices: Violin with rich tone. Its dimensions are slightly smaller than a normal 4/4 violin.

From Daniel Robbins
Posted March 30, 2011 at 04:25 PM

The bouts are not as wide as they normally are on a full size violin; nut width is a little smaller, some of the fingerboard is not a wide as normally, thickness of fingerboard is less than normal, and the distance from top of the upper bout to the top of fingerboard is less than normal.  1 piece back.  I can e-mail pictures.

From Frankie Otis
Posted on May 4, 2011 at 01:36 AM

My violin teacher recently recommended that I try a smaller size violin such as 7/8.  Could you email me pictures, the age and maker of the violin, etc.?  Why are you selling this violin?  Any other details would be helpful.
Thank you, 
Frankie Otis

From Daniel Robbins
Posted on May 6, 2011 at 03:18 AM

I would be happy to e-mail you pictures.  If you would send me your e-mail address, then I can send them to you.  Note that I don't mean for you to put your e-mail address in this discussion thread, but if you send me a message outside of the thread, then include your e-mail address, please.  I don't know how to send pictures otherwise, since it asks for a URL for images, and I don't have them up on some site, except for one photo.

It's from the late 19th century and the maker is unknown.  (The label says it's made by Grancino in 1805 FYI.)  

I'm selling this violin because it's smaller than a 4/4 full size violin, and I don't have very small hands.  I would like a nice violin that's full size, but am not planning on buying one at least until I have sold this one.  

It has a rich tone and a one piece back.  But, it does have a wolf note, C natural high on the G string, and two roughly (1 x .5)" oval worm holes on the back, which of course have been filled in.   

From Ano Nyy
Posted on May 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM

i googled this name it came up with a wiki

Paolo Grancino is a 17th century violin maker of obscure origin and unverifiable existence. He is thought to have been a student of Andrea Guarneri. Instruments who appear to be made by him are of a recognizable "Grancino" style which also appears in the work of later Grancinos, yet they are of an earlier (1680 to 1730) and more delicate style than the well known work of Giovanni Grancino. These instruments have a fine oil varnish and a character which is clearly related to that of Andrea Guarneri. They are often labeled or attributed to one or another of the well known Cremonese makers.

From Daniel Robbins
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 04:23 AM

The label inside the violin for sale reads: "Giovanni Grancino in Contrada Largha di Milano allegno della Corona 1805."

It's definitely not made by Grancino, but since there was some writing about Grancino in the last reply in this thread, I thought I'd write down just what the label reads.

From Janis Smith
Posted on May 23, 2011 at 09:23 AM

Daniel

I am looking for a small  Ladies full sized or a 7/8th for my 10 year old daughter who is studying for her Gd5. Can you possibly email me some photographs to smith_janis@yahoo.com.

Thanks

Janis 

From Lukas Wronski
Posted on July 20, 2011 at 12:17 AM

hello, could you email me these photos of your violin on my email:

lukasso@live.com

and some info.

thank you so much,

Lukas

From Daniel Robbins
Posted on July 28, 2011 at 03:57 AM

After bringing this violin to another luthier, I have discovered that it is a full size 4/4 violin after all.  Since it's bouts are certainly less wide than normal bouts, and since the nut at the end of the fingerboard is a little narrower than they normally are, (and I expect more of the fingerboard is, as well, since I've been playing this instrument for a year and a half), I figured it was less than a full size violin.  But, I was told by a luthier recently that the back length and the string length are normal for a full size instrument, and that this is a full size violin.  Sorry for the confusion.  I have brought this instrument to a few luthiers in the past, and asked about its measurements.  One said that the string length was a little less than normal, one said it was normal length, and one said it was at least normal length.

So, the measurements that I'm sure are smaller than a normal 4/4 full size violin are: nut width, width of some of the fingerboard, width of lower bout, width of upper bout, fingerboard thickness, distance from the top of the upper bout to the top of the fingerboard.

From Daniel Robbins
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM
It is getting adjusted at a violin shop in New York, NY.
Ilya Gringolts

Contest: Paganini Caprices

Enter to win Ilya Gringolts' recording of the 24 Caprices by Paganini.