Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Violin Teacher Need in Rome, Italy

Teaching and Pedagogy: Looking for a Violin Teacher in Rome, Italy.

From Charles Scogna
Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I am presently working in Rome, Italy and I began learning the violin 1 year ago. I had a great instructor back in the U.S. but I am having trouble finding one in Rome.

Is anyone here an instructor Rome or does anyone know of any instructors in Rome, Italy?

Thank you for any direction.

From Tammy Kirwan
Posted on March 7, 2011 at 12:19 AM

If you don't mind taking video (skype) lessons, I can give you the contact info to my teacher, Mr. Alex DePue. Alex was the concertmaster of a youth orchestra that played in  Carnegie Hall at the age of 14. He has toured with Chris Cagle, Rock Guitarist Steve Via and Kevin Costner. He is also one of the top 10 fiddlers in the US. He is classically trained, but plays any all styles with ease. 

Let Me know!

Tammy

From elise stanley
Posted on March 7, 2011 at 02:02 AM

This is a little odd - the home of the Great Violin and its not easy to find an instructor?  Which kinda raises the eyebrows.

OTOH, if you would wait a few years (for me to actually learn) maybe I could come to Rome and teach? :D 

From Charles Scogna
Posted on March 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM

The Skype lessons sound interesting but I think I am still at the point where I need someone to be right there telling what to adjust.

As far as the difficulty in the birthplace of the violin, part of it is due to a bit a language gap, that is narrowing, and the outlets I have looked into are at at a higher level of than I am. I am still searching though.

Thanks for the comments!

From elise stanley
Posted on March 10, 2011 at 06:15 AM

I had a bit of a look - and came accross this:

http://www.friendsinrome.com/message.asp?CODE=MURPKST14A2240

I did not check into it further though -but it might be worth a shot.

From Jo Parker
Posted on March 10, 2011 at 06:43 AM

sorry if I say something 'obvious' that you may have tried already, but have you picked up the phone book and dialled the local music conservatoire and asked to speak to the music teachers there or sent them an email/letter? I'd do that :) Italians are VERY friendly and down to earth (I'm half italian and go there every year to see my dad) if language is a barrier I'll e-mail them for you if you like :)

they may know some ex students who have gone onto working in orchestras etc and are now teaching too or the teachers may also teach privately themselves.

Just a thought....

From Lexey Donohue
Posted on April 25, 2011 at 01:28 PM

Hi there. Just curious if you have found success? I am moving to Vicenza this summer. I will check out the conservatory but I haven't found anything online about teachers for adult beginners so I was just curious if you had found anything in your area.

Ciao, Lexey

From Johnny Fang
Posted on April 25, 2011 at 09:09 PM

The local violin shop may be the best source of information about teachers.  Good luck!

From LUIS CLAUDIO MANFIO
Posted on April 25, 2011 at 10:11 PM

In the case you speak Italian you can register and ask in this forum

http://www.claudiorampini.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=1

www.manfio.com

From John Maida
Posted on May 19, 2011 at 08:33 PM

Hi there,

I came across your message by chance! I am a professional violinist and teacher here in the Rome area, originally form NYC. If you're still looking, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle