Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

Easy classical violin music

Performing: looking for easy violin pieces.

From Jamshid Nikkhah
Posted December 20, 2010 at 08:30 PM

hi,

I am at GRADE 2 level and middle aged, and looking for some melodious easy classical violin music to play.

Can anyone make any suggestions. Something to inspire me and not too taxing.

From Eloise Garland
Posted on December 20, 2010 at 09:45 PM

A good duet or quartet to do is Pachelbel's Cannon - dead easy and fun to play. The middle section may be slightly more challenging for some but after a bit of practice it is easy to grasp. Good luck!

From Marsha Weaver
Posted on December 21, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I'm just starting a book that's probably just what you're looking for.  It's called "52 Masterpieces for Violin & Piano (in the First Position)", arranged by Roger Halle.  The I.D. number (publisher's?) for ordering is EL00124, and the ISBN number is 0-7692-3144-6.  It has selections in it by Schubert, Schumann, Offenbach, Paganini, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and many others -- manageable arrangements of many well-known pieces.  The insert for the violin part lifts out, so you don't have to bother with the rest of the book if you're carrying your music around with you (not a battle keeping it on the music stand, either).  It retails for about $20 (USD).

There's another possibility called "Tons of Tunes from the Classics" that I've been trying to get since August (problem with the publisher).  I haven't seen it yet, but it's described as "easy", and includes pieces by Bach, Vivaldi, and many other composers.  It sounds promising (if it ever shows up!).  It retails for about $13 (USD).

Good luck in your search!

From Jamshid Nikkhah
Posted on December 21, 2010 at 12:32 PM

thanks - will try and get those

regards Jamshid

From Charlie Gibbs
Posted on December 21, 2010 at 06:48 PM

Google is your friend.  Try looking for "violin sheet music" or something like that.  There are a number of sites from which you can download sheet music for free.  You should be able to find music for violin or various ensembles.  I have fun with my wife (who's beginning cello) playing things like a violin/cello transcription of Handel's "The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba" which we found on the net.  But that's just one example - there are many more.  Happy hunting!

From Lauren Foley
Posted on December 23, 2010 at 04:34 PM

Hi,

There's a book entitled '100 classical themes for violin', and I think it suitable for beginners up to grade 3. You can order it at www.musicroom.com or your local music store if they don't have it stock. It's also one of my Christmas presents.

I hope this helps you in what your looking for.

Loz xx

Ilya Gringolts

Contest: Paganini Caprices

Enter to win Ilya Gringolts' recording of the 24 Caprices by Paganini.