Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Good music for Violin Solo

Repertoire: What good solo music can you recommend? Here's a few of my ideas.

From Sandy Herrault
Posted September 9, 2010 at 04:27 PM

What do you think are good pieces to perform? For example, Tarantelle, by Hans Sitt, Hungarian Dance No. 5, Brahms, and El Choclo, Villoldo all make great pieces to perform.  They don't need any accompaniment, and aren't too difficult or long.  Do you know any other music like this?

From elise stanley
Posted on September 9, 2010 at 04:33 PM

H isandy - did you try the search box on the left?  there is tons of information on V.Com on great music ideas that you can delve into :)  But perhaps you hav a specific question with a new angle on need for pieces?

From Sandy Herrault
Posted on September 9, 2010 at 06:12 PM

I looked through the blogs, and didn't get any new ideas.  Some pieces are don't sound great without accompaniment.  Also, some pieces are just more difficult or longer than I'd like for solo performance. 

From Tobias Seyb
Posted on September 9, 2010 at 06:44 PM

I played the méditation by massenet, it sounds fine alone.

Btw., I am arranging a collection of well known pieces for unaccompanied violin, I've already done ten pieces (Träumerei, Canon in D, Hochzeitsmarsch etc.). In case I find no publisher, I will offer the files for download.

From Jim Dorans
Posted on September 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM

"Elfentanz" by Ezra Jenkinson.

From Sandy Herrault
Posted on September 10, 2010 at 12:19 AM

The Elfentaz is on the website recommended in an earlier blog about free sheet music.  Looks great, thanks so much!

Here's the link http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/6/6a/IMSLP23507-PMLP53586-E._Jenkinson_-_Elfentanz__Danse_des_Sylphes_.pdf

From Sandy Herrault
Posted on September 10, 2010 at 04:37 PM

Tobias,

Sounds interesting.  Good luck.

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle