Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Bulgarian or Romanian violins

Instruments: What is the difference between the Bulgarian and Romanian violins?Does anyone owns a violin from these regions and what is your appraisal for them?

From Ciro Montella
Posted May 18, 2010 at 04:45 PM

What is the difference between the Bulgarian and Romanian violins?Does anyone owns a violin from these regions and what is your appraisal for them?

From Petko Petkov
Posted on May 18, 2010 at 07:17 PM

I afford to answer to this question in my capacity of a Bulgarian maker. The main difference between us (me and my colleagues) and our Romanian colleagues is in the way of handcrafting the instruments. As far as I know in Romania there are many “factories” for string instruments, where each part of the instrument is made from a different luthier. In Bulgaria most of the violin makers works by themselves and elaborate the entire instrument.

From Dave Snow
Posted on May 19, 2010 at 12:51 AM

I can't speak for Bulgarian violins as I've never played any, but I'm sure they are fine instruments especially if they are hand made by the one Luthier. What I can say is that I am very happy with the Romanian made Simon Jozsef Strad copy anno 1716 (2004 model) that I recently purchased for $3000.00 Canadian. It is my understanding that this fiddle would have been made by members of the family in their workshop in Reghin Romania. I have previously only owned violins around the $1500.00 range, but this one is far better than anything else I've ever had. Having said that, a few years ago I had a Romanian (not Simon Jozsef) around the $1400.00 range and I was NOT happy with that one. I don't know what price range you are looking at, but this was my experience. 

http://www.jonacoviolins.ro/

From Michael Pijoan
Posted on May 19, 2010 at 10:14 AM

I just looked on your website, Mr. Petkov.  Those are really beautiful violins.  

From jerry field
Posted on May 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I agree that in Reghin, Romania, there are the large "factory" style facilities but my experience with Virgil Bandila of Reghin is excellent.  He has a small operation.  Three years ago he made me a cello, three full-sized violins and three fractional sized violins -- all according to my specifications.  They were wonderful in every way -- tonally, craftsmanship, etc.  His website address is:  www.gylreghin.

From Ciro Montella
Posted on May 19, 2010 at 04:20 PM

Thank you, guys, for sharing your thoughts. I found information in other sites as well.

From what I understood there is a city in Bulgaria where the violin making is a craft from many years. I intend to organize a trip in summer to test some violins by myself. If you are interested I can share my experience after that.

From Petko Petkov
Posted on May 19, 2010 at 04:39 PM

Mr.Montella,According to me ultimately it is not so important from what region is the violin maker. The most important things are his experience, feeling for the woods and attitude towards his work.

Thank you Michael for your nice words!

From Ciro Montella
Posted on May 22, 2010 at 02:27 PM

This is true Mr.Petkov but I am interested in violins from that regions because of the price range.By the way your violins look wonderful!I would like to try some of them and probably I will visit your workshop soon.

From David Allen
Posted on May 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Ciro,

Yes, a full report on your visit to local shops there would be just the thing for this web site and I, for one, would love to read about it. You might want to talk to Laurie before you go as she might have some questions of her own to suggest.

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Galamian's Principles Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle

Lady Victory

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Here's our daily coverage of the ninth quadrennial international violin competition, won by South Korea's Jinjoo Cho.