Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Musical Cat Names

Life in general: A new kitty came into my life and I'm searching for an appropriate name...

From Mendy Smith
Posted May 4, 2010 at 04:20 PM

This morning my two foster cats, Elvis and Priscilla, went back home to their mom.  I had them for the past three years while she was deployed in Kuwait.  As timing would have it, a little black and white long-haired (tuxedo) kitten showed up at more door just a few days ago. 

I decided to adopt her.  She has no fear of the sounds coming from my various instruments, and is running around the house like a crazy cat (Scherzo?).  She likes to be perched up high.  She has an injured right hind paw (piano for left hand???) and a snotty nose that causes her to meow with a lisp (Lizt?).  She's doing the cut cat-thing by rolling around on her back with her front paws tucked in.

What are your thoughts on a name for this little feline musical diva?

From Bev Saunders
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 04:42 PM

I had a horse with a similar personality and I named him Allegro.  Enjoy your kitty!

From Tobias Seyb
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 04:58 PM

Hi,

last october I got two kittens. One of them looked like my late Felix, so it was no question how I should name him. But his brother? Then I saw the poster from my last string quartet concert: We had been performing music by Mendelssohn and Haydn. Problem solved.

From Royce Faina
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 05:22 PM

A spin on the Mittenwald violins; "Kittenwald"?

From Michelle Ippolito
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 05:47 PM

Does she show any talent on the piano? If so, how about Clara? Nice name for a girl pianist. 

From Heather Meisner
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 05:48 PM

I like Scherzo!!!  Mosso maybe?  Our current critters have non-musical names, but one day when we can have another great dane, he will be named Elgar - if anyone out there knows great danes, I think they might understand:)).  Enjoy your new buddy, I hope you don't miss the other 2 for too long.

From Sander Marcus
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 06:38 PM

I hesitate to suggest it, but the logical name for a cat is "Catgut."
Although I must admit one of our dogs we named "Jascha," and although I am certain Mr. Heifetz would have been offended if he were around to know about it, Jascha the dog is a wonderful animal and I believe that his name does honor to both the dog and the violinist.
Sandy

From Bart Meijer
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 07:26 PM

Our late cats were called Rossini, Caccini and Petrouchka. Hope this helps :)

We thought Rossini a particularly apt name, because Rossini the composer wrote the Cats' Duet. Rossini the cat was special too.

From Royce Faina
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 07:30 PM

It dawned on me that we had a discussion regarding Musical Names for our pets.  Quite a list! I'll see if I can find it.  It may could prove useful.

From Nigel Keay
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 07:56 PM

What about Khatchaturian? 

From Tommy Atkinson
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 08:04 PM

How about Felix (Mendelssohn)?

From Lisa Van Sickle
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 08:22 PM

Hildegard von Bingen?   Cecilia, patron saint of music?  Nadia Boulanger?

From Patricia Baser
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 09:18 PM

We've had a cat named "Sarka" (3rd tone poem of  Smetena), "Carmina" (for Carmina Burana) and one named "Hocket" (a perfect name for her, as she was/is quite a jumpy cat).  That's it for the musical names.  Our next cat was named "Spot" (named by husband for the cat on Star Trek).  Of that set, only 15 yr old Hocket remains.  Our other cats are named "Waffle" (our daughter named her) and "Surprise" (she was the surprise kitten found in the parking lot). 

From Anne-Marie Proulx
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Hum???? 

Female: Perhaps I would call mind CKPNnKA (Skripka) meaning "violin" in russian cause I have a great admiration for old generation Russian musicians and pedagogy (Oistrakh, Rostropovich, Milstein, Ida Haendel (perhaps more of a Polish), Richter etc)

Male: Maestro or if it's more of a gentlemen  "teddy bear" looking cat, Dodick of course since this was the nickname of my favorite violinist!  

I really love Allegro for your horse Bev!  It sound very "race horse" ; ) 

Happy for you!  This is so cool!!!

Anne-Marie

" I am certain Mr. Heifetz would have been offended if he were around to know about it, Jascha the dog is a wonderful animal and I believe that his name does honor to both the dog and the violinist."

This one made my day! ; )  It's funny but I'm sure (well can't really know) Mr. Oistrakh would just find it cute to see a "Dodick" animal in his honor!  (From seeing him holding Koala, monkeys in his arms and feeding pigeons in Venise on his shoulder on a biographical DVD, I'm sure he loved animals!) 

From Roland Garrison
Posted on May 4, 2010 at 11:34 PM

How about Schertzo?

From Rosalind Porter
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 12:10 AM

PizziCATo??    I like Scherzo too, that's an apt suggestion or how about Presto.   Trying to think of female composers, you could go all medieval and call her Hildegard (after H.. de Bingen)   Or do you have some favourite female operatic heroines?  Lucia, Mimi, Tosca, Pamina, Dorabella, Fiordiligi, Elvira etc etc etc.

Have you seen a vet about her snotty nose?   I know kittens are very susceptible to respiratory infections, she might need some antibiotics, poor little girl. Thank goodness she has found a loving new home.   We need you to post a photo though!

P.S.  Edited to add that if she is a crazy cat - you could just call her "Viola"  lol

From elise stanley
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 12:18 AM

A bit of baroque embelishment of the previous one:

violetta...

ee

From Mendy Smith
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 03:41 AM

Thank you everyone for the ideas!  I think I may go with "Allegreta con Moto", or "Ally" for short.

From Yixi Zhang
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 04:48 AM

My experience with naming cats is no matter what name you decide to give to a cat, it will give you its own name later. This happens to me all the time. All three of our current cats have their official names when we first got them, but when we got to know each other better, we ended up calling each a different name: Oscar became Damao, Napoleon became Monkey and Cleo became Mimi. It's cat personality thingy.

Have fun!

From Roland Garrison
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 06:39 AM

Yixi,

We got our cat's name right the first time. When we brought home the little handful of fur, and he had to contend with two 90+ pound dogs, I decided he needed a good name to help him; I called him 'Bubba'.

He liked the name, and he sits on the back of chairs and attacks the dogs when they coast by; he is also a hunter (my wife is not happy with that at all!), and he liked to do everything on HIS schedule, not ours. A real Bubba; he even seems to have a drawl in his meow.

From Bart Meijer
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 07:32 AM

Just had to post this; couldn't help myself. Here goes:

(Click on the title and it will go to the poem)

From Alison Daurio
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 05:34 PM

Hehe, love this thread! Though of all animals cats certainly do choose their own names! My cat was Pierre for a few days, Nut for a little while, and we finally landed at Nemo. He wasn't meant to be musically-named, sadly, as he hides when I play violin :( I did have hamster called Vivace though!

From al ku
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 06:08 PM

my humble entry will be Dora Meow. :)

to play off your viola,  Meow-La. :)

From Ray Randall
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 06:23 PM

Pizza CAT o is cute.

From Heather Meisner
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 07:08 PM

Wow, great names...besides Scherzo, I really like Skripka, and Pizza Cat O.  Actually Bubba for a smaller, female, delicate cat could be quite interesting.... my uncle had a tiny girl cat he named 'Brian'.  ?.

I agree cats do seem to name themselves though - my daughter's cat - tried really hard for her to be 'Robin'.  Not a chance though and she ended up as 'Mouse'.  Much more fitting.

From Anne-Marie Proulx
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 08:45 PM

Vivaldi would also be pretty nice for sort of a cultivated looking cat ; )  Mozart for a childish cat!

And another idea for a female cat could be Ida (in honnor of Ida Haendel who stood proudly at an erra where they weren't that much girls violinists)  And for Itzakh Perlman fans, a pretty name for a male cat could be Itzakh ; )  Itzakh the cat...  sounds as a cute name.

Scherzo is wonderful too and Pizicatto or Pizzicatty... I agree too!

Anne-Marie

From Terez Mertes
Posted on May 5, 2010 at 09:41 PM

Oh, a kitty!! How exciting, what fun!!  Any of the names sound great. Now I want to see a picture!

Congrats to the both of you on finding each other.

From Rob Olsen
Posted on May 6, 2010 at 02:15 AM

Tosca

From Stephen Brivati
Posted on May 6, 2010 at 04:41 AM

Two kittens:

Tosca and Nini

From Laurie Niles
Posted on May 6, 2010 at 05:05 AM

Le Gato?

From Mendy Smith
Posted on May 6, 2010 at 06:20 AM

Laurie - that is waaaay to funny!

Maybe she should have one of those long formal names to cover all bases and also be a good name to let her know when she is in trouble....

Allegretta con Moto le Gato - get OFF the counter!!!!

From Marsha Weaver
Posted on May 6, 2010 at 03:42 PM

Mendy --

Ooooooooo -- I thought I had such a good idea, but Laurie beat me to it!  :)

Besides the obvious "Gato" being Spanish for "Cat", even the definition  -- smooth -- fits a cat perfectly.

Enjoy the new addition to the family!!

Marsha

From Michael Avagliano
Posted on May 6, 2010 at 06:19 PM

Congratulations on the new kitty!!

My wife's grandmother had a great name she gave to one of her cats. She's happy to pass it on, but get ready to groan...

Monsieur Clawed DePussy!

From Carol Pigeon
Posted on May 7, 2010 at 02:01 AM

YiXi Zhang is right.  I've had several cats through the years.  The nick names you end up calling them by is their personality and/or how you feel about them.  My female Precious is also my baby girl or little girl (sometimes Little s_ _ t).  My male Prince is little guy, baby boy and mister.   Can't imagine life without them.

From Stephen Brivati
Posted on May 7, 2010 at 03:19 AM

Greetings,

Carol, conversely everyday your cat is thinking `ahaha, here comes that pigeon again. Waiting to be plucked....`

Cheers,

Buri

From Lena Sverkersson
Posted on May 7, 2010 at 10:06 AM

'Scriabin' for  a male cat.

From Bart Meijer
Posted on May 7, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Christopher Hope, together with Yehudi Menuhin, has written a childrens' book: The King, the Cat and the Fiddle. Its main character is Joachim the cat (who teaches everybody to play violin).

Or how about Lorenzo, for a male cat?

From Veronica Jackson
Posted on May 7, 2010 at 01:00 PM

How about Violet...sounds kinda cute for the cat of a violinist...

"Where did the Suzuki CD go?"

Suzuki Violin School Good news! All the Suzuki Violin School CDs are available now as digital downloads on Amazon.com. But why take the time to search for them all? We've collected links to each album for Suzuki Violin Books 1 - 8.

Get them now! Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Vol. 4 | Vol. 5 | Vol. 6 | Vol. 7 | Vol. 8

Aaron Rosand

Interview: Aaron Rosand

To speak to violinist Aaron Rosand is to gain a sense of what it was like to come of age as a violinist in the mid 20th century.
Part One | Part Two