Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Violin Bow - Lothar Seifert Pernambuco Bow 4/4 size - Octagonal Stick - Silver Mounted

Commercial notices: Handcrafted in Germany, exceptional Lothar Seifert bows are ideal for advanced and professional players desiring a strong, firm pernambuco bow.

From Tigran Patvakanyan
Posted February 4, 2010 at 05:17 PM

Hello everyone,

I have purchased this bow from a local violinist here in Toronto in the summer of 2009, and since I didn't have my violin with me at the time of purchase, I didn't have the opportunity to try it out, but I bought it anyway because I was desperate for a fine bow and my old German was in really bad shape so I thought I'd give it a try.

The bow is of excellent quality, the best I had ever owned (Under $2000, can't afford a more expensive one) but it's been almost 6 months now and it seems that we can't become friends :)

I have larger than average hands, and I can't find my comfort zone on the bow, and I suspect it's not going to change. The bow responds very well, is light and strong (I believe 60 grams) and is German made of course, and stamped "Lothar Seifert - Made in Germany)

Bow is available for viewing in the Toronto area, just had it re-haired by a local Luthier and the bow is in excellent condition.

Sold to Ken Linsk, thanks Ken, enjoy the bow

Asking $900 > Reduced to $750 CAD or best offer

feel free to send me a message or email tiggti@gmail.com

Thank you for looking ;)

From Andrew Victor
Posted on February 5, 2010 at 03:28 PM

Lothat Seifert bows come in various grades (are there any stars at the name stamp to indicate the grade?). Can you compare your bow with those sold by SHAR to estimate the retail price in the US/Canada?

I owned a Lothar Seifert violin bow (SHAR's VB-20) for many years, wonderful sound, but difficult for me to control properly for off string bowings. I finally sold it.  When I had my instruments and bows appraised for insurance purposes many years ago, the evaluator (also a violin maker and good violinist) thought that for him it was the best playing of my bows (which also included a Voirin and R. Weichold). So I guess it is true that the performance of these bows depends on the player.

Of course, it is always possible to vary one's technique to accommodate the bow (I wish I had done that before I sold my Seifert, rather than after).

Andy

From Tigran Patvakanyan
Posted on February 5, 2010 at 04:18 PM

Hi Andy,

I have added some pictures (see #1) and I wasn't aware of the 'stars' which indicate the grade, as you can see on the first picture, there is one star on each end of the name ( * Lothar Seifert * ) but I don't know what it means :)

please feel free to comment and thank you for the information

-Tigran

From Tigran Patvakanyan
Posted on February 16, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Price reduced to $750 or best offer, need this sold before I can purchase another bow that is hopefully a better fit for me.

What makes an elite violinist?

Sarah Chang Our interview with Sarah Chang is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Joshua Bell, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Lady Victory

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Violinist.com editor Laurie Niles is in Indianapolis for our daily coverage of the ninth quadrennial international violin competition.