Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Haitian violinist Romel Joseph survives the earthquake

News: He was pulled from the rubble of his New Victorian School after 18 hours in which he 'recited every concerto he'd played...'

From Laurie Niles
Posted January 25, 2010 at 07:19 PM

Haitian violinist Romel Joseph was pulled from the rubble of his New Victorian School after 18 hours in which he 'recited every concerto he'd played.' His legs are shattered, several fingers broken; he lost his pregnant wife in the disaster and the school he founded to teach poor Haitians music was destroyed.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/americas/haiti/story/1436927.html

He was one of the first members of Violinist.com, the 11th to join, probably in the 1990s (to give you some idea of what that means, we signed our 23,900th member today), though he had not logged in for some time, so the e-mail address I have for him may be old. Do any of you know him, and what are your thoughts on a Violinist.com effort to some funds for his school?

From Annette Brower
Posted on January 25, 2010 at 07:45 PM

The mother of one of my students is from Haiti.  She is a nurse and is going to Haiti the first of February.  With the information you have provided, maybe she could track him down....?  I could have her try if you want.... 

From Laurie Niles
Posted on January 25, 2010 at 08:11 PM

Here's another story, thank you to Roland Bailey for sending it along:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/5min/story/1441002.html

Annette, yes, that would be helpful. Also, does anyone know how to contact his daughter?

From Roland Bailey
Posted on January 25, 2010 at 09:34 PM

Annette, Romel Joseph is currently in a hospital in Miami, Florida, USA.

From Annette Brower
Posted on January 26, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Roland....good to know....I suppose someone can contact him there then....

From Samuel Thompson
Posted on January 26, 2010 at 02:47 AM

A violinist.com effort - indeed!    Have violin, will play in benefit concert!!!

From Laurie Niles
Posted on January 26, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Another story:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20100125/NEWS01/1260321/

From Laurie Niles
Posted on January 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I also received this information from Claire (Rott) Lee, who used to accompany Romel at CCM:

Checks or money orders can be made payable to the Walenstein Musical Organization Inc., 2817 NW 168th Terrace, Miami Gardens, FL 33056.

School supplies may be sent to the New Victorian School, c/o Victoria Joseph, 18320 NE Eighth Ave., North Miami Beach, FL 33179.

From E. Smith
Posted on January 27, 2010 at 02:55 AM

Could we at Violinist.com consider some kind of more formal and perhaps longer-term  effort to help Mr. Joseph's efforts to resurrect his school and continue his work? Can we do some group brainstorming?

From Patricia Baser
Posted on January 28, 2010 at 03:18 AM

What types of musical supplies are needed most? 

From David Chandler
Posted on January 14, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Would contributions of violins be of any use to Romel Joseph's program in Haiti?  There are many novice makers that make violins just for the joy of working with wood, that have instruments that are at least as good as many student violins coming from the mass-production workshops.  If so I can be reached at david@ccvn.com .

From Theodor Taimla
Posted on January 15, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Haha, this is funny. I thought I saw this thread before. What's even funnier is that it's made on my birthday a year ago. I hope that man is doing well. Heh, my perspective didn't change at all even tho I didn't even have a violin a year ago. I got it half a month later! :D

From N.A. Mohr
Posted on May 23, 2012 at 06:19 PM
How is this gentleman doing? Anyone know?

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

Hear more from the world's top violinists in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which includes our exclusive conversations with Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, and David Garrett, and others, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

We've compiled a list of some of the year's best new offerings from violinists for you to consider.