Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Info. on violin maker

Instruments: Looking for information on the maker of a violin I recently inherited.

From Norm Kittleson
Posted January 2, 2010 at 02:06 AM

I recently inherited a violin from my late father.  The label on the inside states the the violin was made by H.M. Cusack of Toronto.  It is dated Feb. 15th, 1915.  It also states that it is number 51.  I have been unable to find any information on the maker, so if anyone has heard of this maker and can shed some light on him or her, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Norm

From Leah Jozwiak
Posted on January 3, 2010 at 01:16 AM

Here is a reference I found - a violin offered for sale that is labaled repaired by HM Cusack...

maybe contact this shop for info?

http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/fullCatalogueSE.asp?salelot=2333+++++286+&refno=++672948

From Norm Kittleson
Posted on January 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Thanks for the lead.  Happy New Year to you!

From Stephen McClellan
Posted on January 12, 2010 at 09:15 PM

I have run across a few violins by this maker in the Toronto area.  They are of reasonable quality a little better than amateur workmanship.  Some are a little heavy and have thick oil varnish if I am not mistaken.  In terms of value, they have a limited marketability and without seeing it I wouldn't want to venture a price.   You have a family heirloom to be played which is of more value in my opinion.  You may wish to have an insurance appraisal done.  Best of luck. Stephen McClellan, McClellan Instruments & Bows Ltd, Toronto.

What makes an elite violinist?

Sarah Chang Our interview with Sarah Chang is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Joshua Bell, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback