Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Synthetic Bow Hair

Instruments: Are we there yet?

From Andres Sender
Posted August 20, 2009 at 03:49 PM

In the January 2009 issue of The Strad, in an article on synthetic bows, Bernd Müsing (co-inventor of the Arcus bow) made the comment that he would like to find a synthetic substitute for bow hair which can compete with or better natural hair.

I notice that there are a number of brands of synthetic hair out there which vendors claim to be competitive with or comparable to real hair:  Incredibow’s 2nd generation hair, Hervex, and Maatzhaare.

I’m curious to hear from players and rehairers whether any of these can really match real hair in terms of tone and compete in terms of response.  Any other comments about how different brands work as far as hair resilience vs. stick tension vs. contact surface would also be appreciated.

From Royce Faina
Posted on August 20, 2009 at 07:37 PM

I had a bow with synthetic hair when I was in college way back...  at the time I liked it better than real hair!

From Andres Sender
Posted on September 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I think I will take this tentatively as a resounding "no".  ;-)

"Where did the Suzuki CD go?"

Suzuki Violin School Good news! All the Suzuki Violin School CDs are available now as digital downloads on Amazon.com. But why take the time to search for them all? We've collected links to each album for Suzuki Violin Books 1 - 8.

Get them now! Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Vol. 4 | Vol. 5 | Vol. 6 | Vol. 7 | Vol. 8

Aaron Rosand

Interview: Aaron Rosand

To speak to violinist Aaron Rosand is to gain a sense of what it was like to come of age as a violinist in the mid 20th century.
Part One | Part Two